Last night was not to my liking.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jul 2, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I was watching a movie with my sister and the lights start flickering. She asks what's going on and I tell her that it sometimes happens in the heat, and even the power will go out. No less than 5 seconds after than that the power goes out. After being out for a while I call the fire department to see if there was an accident or something. Seems like my street was the only one in the whole town out, and the fire department had no idea. I then proceed to call the power plant. They said there were a few on my street that already called and that a guy was sent out. after about an hour and a half, the power still hasn't come back on. I go outside to see if the guys came yet, and all the street except the area that gets power from the transformer across from my house had power. By now, the house has gotten real warm due to the heat and humidity. My pugs and boxers start to pant and drool real bad, because they have a hard time breathing in the heat. A while later another crew comes to fix the transformer. They have it pretty much fixed, when bam the transformer blows. Now off to the station they go to get a new transformer and other supplies. The place they go to get everything is 5 minutes across town. It takes them close to 5 hours to get back to fix it. For those 5 hours I'm trying to sleep, but can't due to the heat, humidity, my sister being scared, the total silence, and my dogs panting and making puddles of drool everywhere. When they finally arrive, it takes them over an hour to fix it. By the time it was finally fixed and they left, it was after 6 this morning. I didn't get to sleep till after 6:30. It's weird how all this happened on just my street. I feel like crap now because I got maybe 4 hours sleep in all since waking up yesterday morning.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

They have electric power in New Hampshire?

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    It's controlled by the Old Man on Mt Washington... If he's happy, NH has power.

We've got the same brutal heat here this week which makes my ride to and from work fun. But as of yet I have not turned on the A/C in my house at all, I'll just walk around in shorts and I sleep downstairs where it's cool.

I might go with the wet towel under helmet ride home today as today is going up to 97°F and looking to be real humid too.

Jay

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

The same thing has happened here in Georgia. I can't imagine New Hampshire could be as hot and humid as here.

But someone from Canada was saying it's 113F in Ottowa, so maybe I'm wrong.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Count yourself lucky. Earlier this year we had a devasting ice storm here in KC. I was without power for 7 days (some people were without for up to 9 days) and it was cold.. I could see my breath in my apartment, no heat, no hot water, nothing. If I lit a fire, the temperature at the thermostat could claw its way up to 55 degrees after 4 or 5 hours. It was a truly miserable experience.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Currently in Burlington, Vermont:
    Temperature: 93F
    Dewpoint: 79F
    Heat Index: 108F
    I wish I were in Florida. It'd be cooler. [​IMG]
    (edited to reflect even more ludicrous temperatures!)

8. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I thought the electric power there was controlled by The Old Man in the Cave--you know, like from that old Twilight Zone episode with James Coburn.

Interesting to discover that, yes, people find it hard to go to sleep when the power goes out on a hot, humid night. Never would have guessed.

Oh, and the New York Yankees are two games ahead of the BoSox in the AL East. I think the Yankees generate more electricity that The Old Man in the Cave.

Should we start a poll about this in "Polls"? Please advise.

Thank you very much.

10. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'd rather have the power go out in the winter than the summer. I've had the experience of the power being out for a week in the winter. There was a couple ice storms that week, and then it started getting warmr out and all the ice melted causing flooding. Because of the flooding, it delayed the electric company from getting the power on earlier. Alot of people had to be evacuated from their homes too. The worst I had was a flooded cellar due to my back yard being a swamp.

11. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

it couldnt have been THAT hot...
    i live near the sweatiest city in the US
    the link

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's been in at least the high 80s to 90s, which is hot for around here. The summertime temperatures around here usually are in the 70s to low 80s. When it gets to the mid 80s and above it's hot to alot of people here, especially if it's been humid.

13. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

It's been around 95 with 70% humidity in New England lately. That's blistering hot for almost anywhere.
    On the temperature/humidity index that's the equivalent (or feels like) 124F. And that's not even the worst of it...
    The highest recorded temp in Boston? 102F. In Miami? 98F. It may not always be hot here, but we've got some wacked out weather.
    (And Boston vs. Southern NH area is basically the same.)
    http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm

14. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Chiming in from New Orleans...I see in Ross's article we may No. 3 on the list of sweatiest cities. I agree...if you don't sweat at least 4-5 times a day here, something's wrong with you...but we do get our daily 2pm rainstorm to wet everything and make it twice as humid for the rest of the day!!!

Tim K.

15. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

16. Jack Briggs

17. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Geez, that is brutal. The fact it took them 5 hours to go 5 minutes across town doesn't suprise me, city workers are the same way.

18. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I've been to New Orleans twice. It's the worst heat I've ever experienced. I've dealt with Vegas at 119F and Phoenix at 108F.

19. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I've never appreciated Southern California beach weather more than I do today. I just got back from a trip to Denver, where daily highs ranged from 96 to 102, and Louisville Kentucky, with highs in the upper 80s and HIGH humidity. As I was flying back from sweltering Denver, the pilot announced that the current LA temperature was 68. Ahhh, Long Beach, you feel SO good. [​IMG]

20. Jack Briggs

Bill: When you have the dry heat we have here, hot is good! I've been in the Mojave when it is near 120--and felt just fine (on a motorcycle). But one should definitely refresh oneself regularly. On a motorcycle, that means stopping every half hour or so for some liquid refreshment.

New Orleans, though, has that humidity coming in off the Gulf--making 90 degrees F much less bearable than, say, 115 degrees F just outside of Tucson.

Ah, but I love the West. Always have.