Last Minute decision: Harman Kardon 7200 vs. Lexicon MC-1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arthur S, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The HK 7200 has Logic 7. I also have been considering a used Lexicon MC-1. Does the 7200 have Logic 7 for 5.1 sources? For the sake of discussion, let's say the 7200 is about $950 (new), and the MC-1 is about $1650.

I have a lot of available amp channels so the built-in amps on the 7200 are not a deal maker or deal breaker. What would you advise.

All comments will be appreciated.

Happy Labor Day.

Artie

2. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

The 7200 does not do Logic 7 for 5.1 sources. To me this is not that big of a deal since I prefer the original mode anyways. If I had the money to go seperates I would but since I didn't, I went with a refurbished AVR7200 for an awesome price.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris

How much did you pay for the 7200?

Thanks

Artie

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The older HK 8000 does have the option to apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources and is available for about the same price as the 7200 if you can still find it (try Harman Audio on Ebay).

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Hi Artie,

I think 1600 is too high for an MC1 (which also doesn't have 5.1 inputs). What a newer prepro with DPL2x, which can be applied to 5.1 sources. What are you using right now?

6. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I agree with Ricky, $1600 really opens up alot of options for you that are probably better than the MC1.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The H/K 8000 actually downmixes 5.1 sources to 2.0, *then* applies Logic 7. Only Lexicon products apply Logic 7 to 5.1 sources. BTW, you should be able to get an MC-1 for closer to $1400. One issue with the MC-1 though, is that it doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A, if that matters or not to you.

8. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

I got my AVR7200 for $700 from Harman Direct. They have a few AVR8000 every once in awhile as well

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

For $1600 (or well, just a little more....$1800 maybe) you can get an Anthem AVM-20, which is software upgradeable to the latest and greatest surround formats (except PLIIx...still waiting on that one), it's fully balanced, and is hardware upgradeable as well...word is HDMI switching and iLink capability are going to be provided by the end of the year.

Yes, Lexicon is good, but they are quite pricey.

Why are you only considering these two products?

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Hi Ricky

My front end is a Kenwood VR-6070. It has DPL II but not DPL IIx.

I can get a V4. version MC-1 from an authorized dealer with a warranty for $1650. I know that I can get an MC-1 for $1500, but I like the idea of getting an MC-1 from an authorized dealer with liberal service and other policies.

How much can you get an MC-1 for? What other pre pros can you recommend at a reasonable price point, i.e., less than, say, $1,500 or less?

11. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

$150 extra for peace of mind is worth it, especially if you get 1 or 2 years warranty from a dealer. I did :) and it paid off.

Note the HK 7200 Logic 7 does not process over 5.1 sources, only 2ch.

Great thing about the MC-1 is once you've set it up, you don't have to worry if it's in the right mode or not, as you can have defaults and custom settings per DSP, and you have access to each DSP mode from discrete IR codes, so you can set macros up. It's also very flexible in setting up. Leave it in Logic 7 or Music Logic; that's it.

Only gripe is no multi-channel input, and no analogue direct bypass (analogue inputs are converted to digital) however if HT without SACD DVD is your main use then I wouldn't worry about it.

There's not really many other av pre-amps at $1500 or less (to match the Lexicon) certainly not Rotel, Parasound etc.

Since Pro-Logic IIx is similar to Logic 7 it's much closer now, however that doesn't mean a £200 AV amp with Pro-Logic IIx will sound as good as the Lexicon MC-1.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Drew- None of the Anthems 20/30/D1 are fully balanced. They have balanced outputs, but none of them are fully balanced. In fact, none of them even have dual differential DACs. The MC-12 does however. [​IMG]

Arthur- $1650 with a warranty would be hard to pass up. Keep in mind, that if you do buy that one, you can also use it in the future for Lexicon's very liberal trade-in programs towards future products.

And for kicks, I don't know if you know about this place:

http://www.smr-forums.com

There is a Lexicon specific forum inside. Lexicon customer service reps answer questions when appropriate. Quite a nice added benefit.

13. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Artie,

Used MC1's were going for 1300-1500 12 months; I suppose some scarcity has held up the prices.

For 1500, you can get a new Sherwood prepro with DPL2x, a new Integra 9.4 prepro (w/o DPL2x, but has DPL2 and 6.1 ES/EX modes), or a used B&K Ref50 (w/ DPL2 and THX Ultra2). All these have 5.1 inputs and component video switching too.

14. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

The 7200 does not do Logic 7 for 5.1 sources. To me this is not that big of a deal since I prefer the original mode anyways. If I had the money to go seperates I would but since I didn't, I went with a refurbished AVR7200 for an awesome price.

it's not true.
    7200 does logic 7 on 5.1 and 7.1
    pls take a moment to go through the manual. it's on the first few pages.

15. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Dont know if you care about Kenwood anymore but the word has been that they will be revamping the Soverign line of receivers soon. Just figured i would throw that out there.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chun- Logic 7 on 5.1 sources. No, it doesn't. Not the way that you think. [​IMG]

It downmixes the 5.1 down to 2.0, *then* applies Logic 7 to get to 7.1. You can ask Harman themselves.