Last log in New Post markings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I go to a forum. I pick a section. One of the first few threads takes me a while to reply to. I go back to the forum. All the posts that where marked red, now aren't, whether I have actually viewed them or not. I have no idea what the actaul time delay is for this reset or whatever it is, but for me it is way too short.

Is there any thing that I or someone else can do about this?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Agreed that this is a big problem!
    I have to find the last post with a red marker, and then work my way up to the top with a right-click on the (First New Post) link and choose "open link in a new window" so that I can preserve the markings of which ones are new vs. old posts. It's very inconvenient, and occassionally causes a system lock-up. Which is really fatal, of course, because after I reboot and get back into the HTF I see that ALL the red markings are now gone! [​IMG]

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Count me in as one who would like a work around for this.

Patrick

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just a little bump for this. Is there a fix for this Parker?

Patrick

5. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I agree with the others. I have this problem too. It's very annoying!

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    One thing you guys could try doing is to make sure that you do not have the "Browse this board with cookies" enabled in your User Options. Go to the User Control Panel -> Edit Options and then make sure that the Browse this board with cookies is not enabled.

Now the time that it takes you to read a thread is this related to the server being slowed down or what?

Parker

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I don't understand. Browse with cookies disabled. Then won't I have to manually enter my user name all the time? Will the new threads or threads with new post still show up as red with cookies disabled?

The problem isn't so much reading threads (although there have been a few times I decide to look at one after there are 30 plus posts, and that can take a while to read). The bigger problem is when I decide to reply to a thread, and it takes a while to compose the reply.

8. Parker Clack

Parker
    Browing the board with cookies is set IF you don't want to log in each time you get on the board and only want to be logged in for that visit. If you have the log in each time enabled it will log you in each time you come back and keep your information for you while you are logged in.

Having the board set to browse with cookies will time you in for when you log in and then set the posts as being read according to a time frame of 15 minutes. If you do not have this enabled you will not be limited to this time frame.

Just set your options to browse without the cookies enabled and see if this fixes the problem that you are having.

Parker

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Parker --

I tried disabling "Browse this board with cookies", and it does indeed keep the red indicators from disappearing.

HOWEVER, it appears to have a side effect. Threads that I have read previously no longer show up with the thread title in red. It occurs to me as I type this that perhaps I need to login manually each time I visit HTF. I'll try that and see what happens.

LATER: It didn't work. The only way I've found to have previously read thread titles appear in red is to browse with cookies enabled.

M.

10. Matthew R

Matthew R Agent

Parker, would it be possible to increase the 15-minute setting, perhaps to 30 minutes? I could spend 15 minutes just trying to catch up on the posts in Software...

--Matthew

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Michael:

Ok, so you are wanting the thread title to remain red in color but the red folders to yellow if you read them? The title of a thread is set by the HTML coding for a visted link or active link. So if you click on a link it is going to change color. That is the way that the majority of the web sites out there work. It allows you to see those links that you visited to already.

I am not really sure what you are wanting here. As I am reading that you want the links not to change color but the folders to change.

Parker

12. Parker Clack

Parker
    Matthew:

Ok, I raised the timout to 15 minutes. It was set at 5.

Parker

13. Matthew R

Matthew R Agent

Thanks, Parker! This will help when I'm visiting in the morning and there are twelve hours of posts to catch up on. [​IMG]
    --Matthew

14. Michael Reuben

15. Michael Reuben

duplicate post