Last Kubrick Question ever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_J, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I know this has been discussed a million times and I've done a search for old threads and believe I know the answer, but I just want to make sure...

I just bought Full Metal Jacket yesterday (the remastered one). I know it's full screen because that's how the director wanted it for home presentation.

OK, now my question. The back of the box says "modified version - formatted to fit your screen." I think I'm just being paranoid, but this is OK, right? The "modification" that the back of the packaging refers to are the ones done with Kubrick's blessing, right?

I just wanted some confirmation before I opened the package and got stuck with the disc.

Thanks, I'll let it die now.

2. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Yes, it's definitely OK. The statement on the back cover is a downright error on Warner's part - my guess is that they just couldn't bother to create a new box that said something like "...director's intentions..." and "...full camera negative...". [​IMG]

3. Colin Chisholm

Colin Chisholm Auditioning

It *has* been modified since the theatrical presentation. The soft matte has been removed giving you the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. Technically it is correct but still very confusing.

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

FMJ is presented open matte, but I noticed that they did modify a section of the end credits showing all the actors so that they fit better on a 4:3 screen. I used artifical mattes to frame the image at 1.85:1 and the credits were obscured by them. In the original release, the actors' credits fit in the 1.85:1 frame. This is why the "modified to fit your screen" disclaimer is there, and not on the other Kubrick open matte films like The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As they have said, the copy on back of the snapper case is in error. Having seen the film gosh-I-don't-know-how-many-times in commercial cinemas and this and the previous DVD, I can tell you the framing looks better in 1.37:1 (okay, 1.33:1). Be cool; you're seeing what The Master wanted you to see.