Last House on the Left (unrated cut confirmed!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_HR, May 22, 2002.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

DVD Empire has this for pre-order plus a bunch of other
    M-G-M horror titles. The release date mentioned is August 27th, & the price is right too! I'm glad this title is finally available and in an unrated form.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes! We need more revolting, gory tales of terror from the 1970s. Bring this one on. Pre-ordering today. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Now what I need from M-G-M is my favorite vampire flick "The Vampire Lovers"!

4. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

And the road leads to nowhere...

5. Ivan Berisic

Ivan Berisic Stunt Coordinator

DVD File reported some really, really bad news. It seems like those extended scenes will not be present in the movie itself. According to them, these scenes will be presented only in a separate featurette entitled "Forbidden Footage". I'm definitely not gonna buy this DVD.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Yeah, this is bad news.
    I'm on the fence now about buying this.

Maybe we can have a MOD change the title/or add something, so it states NO LONGER UNCUT.
    As there is already 1 or 2 threads about this movie availble for preorder

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'm taking this news with a truckload of salt - Escape from New York, anyone?
    Not only does every other release state "New 16x9 transfer from the only existing uncut element", but MGM themselves sent Ron an e-mail a while back informing us all that the disc would be unrated.
    With David Szulkin (who wrote the definitive book on the film, as well as a spectacularly detailed list of differences between all available versions) as the disc's producer, and the news that a pristine European internegative had been discovered with tons of gore that hadn't been seen before that broke, I'll be amazed if this news does turn out to be true.
    It also astonishes me that MGM would be so hypocritical as to put footage that cut out for an 'R' on the disc separately from the R-rated version!
    In other words, I don't really believe this at all. In any case, the outtakes and deleted scenes total around 30 minutes, according to William Lustig who's company Blue Underground is releasing the film in the UK (a few days ago, there was a hearing to overturn the censors decision to remove 14 seconds of footage from the longest print they could find).

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

DVD File says they have their information from an MGM press release. I'm changing the title of the thread to alert readers to the issue.

M.

9. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Hopefully, the press release will turn out to be bogus, but I don't hold out much hope of that. Frankly, I'm a bit stunned MGM appears to be downgrading this release. After all, there's been a general understanding that this would be an uncut version, not to mention the fact that MGM has been very good at releasing unrated or dual-version DVD's. Damn, have the suits at Paramount or Warner set up shop at MGM? What gives?

I guess having the footage presented as an extra is better than nothing at all, but the jury is now out as to whether I'll fork over money for this. The questions I have are:

Other than $$$, why would Sean Cunningham and Wes Craven contribute a commentary to such a severely edited version?

Who is this DVD being marketed to? I can't imagine horror fans taking to a cut version. The remaining consumers don't want it either way.

This could also be a result of the Swamp Thing debacle, where a mother raised so much hell over some bare breasts in a mislabled DVD, she got MGM and Blockbuster to yank it from the shelves. Pathetic.

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

If this is such the case, it is very alarming news to many a horror fan and those that don't approve of the MPAA tamperings.

I looked forward to this disc, but honestly, will delete this from my pre-ordering pending final news of what version is actually on the disc.

It is amazing to me, that while I do not agree to some of the imagery in the film, that this is the same company that just released the unrated version of Original Sin. Again, just a sign that if it is a horror title that it is going to be taking it up the rear-end.

I really do hope that this news isn't true...if it is...goes to show the continued disrespect of the genre. I have always thought much more highly of MGM.

13. Jon Robertson

14. Jon Robertson

Some words of hope from top man Casey Scott:
    If Szulkin, Craven and co. unearthed an uncut print with an R-rated logo before it, this could still be touted by MGM as an uncut print. As noted in Szulkin's book, there were several prints that made the rounds in the US that were completely uncut that simply put an MPAA R logo before the film, even though it hadn't actually been submitted. Or am I being too hopeful? I still find it hard to believe that both Szulkin and Craven would allow this to happen, and MGM doesn't shy away from unrated material.
    http://www.mhvf.net/forum/cult/posts/12710.html

15. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Let's not panic yet. The press release for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 said it would be R-rated as does the jacket art, when in fact it is the unrated cut.
    Jeff

17. Jon Robertson

As I suspected!
    I think this matter can be closed, and we'll chalk it up as another of DVD File's misinformed but innocent announcements.

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

19. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

DVDFile has corrected things:

20. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Good news....I quess that tiem will tell what will be happening.

IF IT IS TRUE THAT THIS IS THE UNCENSORED VERSION....other studio's take note please.

IF IT IS NOT THE UNCENSORED VERSION...other studios don't make the same mistakes and then wonder why things don't sale.