What's new

Last House on the Left (unrated cut confirmed!) (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire has this for pre-order plus a bunch of other
M-G-M horror titles. The release date mentioned is August 27th, & the price is right too! I'm glad this title is finally available and in an unrated form.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes! We need more revolting, gory tales of terror from the 1970s. Bring this one on. Pre-ordering today. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Now what I need from M-G-M is my favorite vampire flick "The Vampire Lovers"!

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
DVD File reported some really, really bad news. It seems like those extended scenes will not be present in the movie itself. According to them, these scenes will be presented only in a separate featurette entitled "Forbidden Footage". I'm definitely not gonna buy this DVD.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah, this is bad news.
I'm on the fence now about buying this.

Maybe we can have a MOD change the title/or add something, so it states NO LONGER UNCUT.
As there is already 1 or 2 threads about this movie availble for preorder

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm taking this news with a truckload of salt - Escape from New York, anyone?
Not only does every other release state "New 16x9 transfer from the only existing uncut element", but MGM themselves sent Ron an e-mail a while back informing us all that the disc would be unrated.
With David Szulkin (who wrote the definitive book on the film, as well as a spectacularly detailed list of differences between all available versions) as the disc's producer, and the news that a pristine European internegative had been discovered with tons of gore that hadn't been seen before that broke, I'll be amazed if this news does turn out to be true.
It also astonishes me that MGM would be so hypocritical as to put footage that cut out for an 'R' on the disc separately from the R-rated version!
In other words, I don't really believe this at all. In any case, the outtakes and deleted scenes total around 30 minutes, according to William Lustig who's company Blue Underground is releasing the film in the UK (a few days ago, there was a hearing to overturn the censors decision to remove 14 seconds of footage from the longest print they could find).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
DVD File says they have their information from an MGM press release. I'm changing the title of the thread to alert readers to the issue.

M.

Will K

Screenwriter
Hopefully, the press release will turn out to be bogus, but I don't hold out much hope of that. Frankly, I'm a bit stunned MGM appears to be downgrading this release. After all, there's been a general understanding that this would be an uncut version, not to mention the fact that MGM has been very good at releasing unrated or dual-version DVD's. Damn, have the suits at Paramount or Warner set up shop at MGM? What gives?

I guess having the footage presented as an extra is better than nothing at all, but the jury is now out as to whether I'll fork over money for this. The questions I have are:

Other than $$$, why would Sean Cunningham and Wes Craven contribute a commentary to such a severely edited version?

Who is this DVD being marketed to? I can't imagine horror fans taking to a cut version. The remaining consumers don't want it either way.

This could also be a result of the Swamp Thing debacle, where a mother raised so much hell over some bare breasts in a mislabled DVD, she got MGM and Blockbuster to yank it from the shelves. Pathetic.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This could also be a result of the Swamp Thing debacle, where a mother raised so much hell over some bare breasts in a mislabled DVD, she got MGM and Blockbuster to yank it from the shelves.
That seems pretty doubtful. As long as MGM correctly labels their releases, the Swamp Thing issue isn't a problem. And given MGM's track record of releasing unrated versions of films, I'd hope they aren't changing their policy based on the flak received from an error in packaging.
DJ

Will K

Screenwriter
That seems pretty doubtful. As long as MGM correctly labels their releases, the Swamp Thing issue isn't a problem. And given MGM's track record of releasing unrated versions of films, I'd hope they aren't changing their policy based on the flak received from an error in packaging.
You're probably right, DJ, but I think the possibility is there, however silly it might be. After all, this is a paranoid, PC, and very much dumbed-downed society we live in. The fact that someone actually took time to write a ridiculous petition to rename Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers is testament to that. :)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
If this is such the case, it is very alarming news to many a horror fan and those that don't approve of the MPAA tamperings.

I looked forward to this disc, but honestly, will delete this from my pre-ordering pending final news of what version is actually on the disc.

It is amazing to me, that while I do not agree to some of the imagery in the film, that this is the same company that just released the unrated version of Original Sin. Again, just a sign that if it is a horror title that it is going to be taking it up the rear-end.

I really do hope that this news isn't true...if it is...goes to show the continued disrespect of the genre. I have always thought much more highly of MGM.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The fact that someone actually took spent time to write a ridiculous petition to rename Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers is testament to that.
I thought that was just a spoof petition used as a springboard for some of the funniest petition comments I've ever read!
Yeah, and I'm annoyed by the title of book 3 also, let's call it "the return of the democratically elected head of government."
I just realized how many movie sequels use II to denote 2, and how much the II looks like the twin towers. get crackin' Kev, you've got a lot more petitions to write...
Better cut off one of your balls. Your having TWO of them offends me.
I think you showed an unbelievable amount of insensitivity by using "The Two Towers" in naming this petition. I am calling for a "Rename this Petition" petition
These days I can't even go for a dump without being overcome by sorrow. I favour genetic experimentation to enable future generations of humans to not have to face the prospect of the harrowing ordeal that is the post9/11 number 2
when will people just accept that the sears tower disaster has now finished, we must move on
Change your first name. The name Peter is a name for males to exert their dominant power over females. Your name is highly offensive and you should change it.
Let's rename it to "The Two Concentration Camps"
Personally, the movie titled "The Muppets Take Manhattan" causes me much more concern. The title alone implies the Muppets had something to do with the 9/11 attacks. I fear this will lead to a racial stereotyping by law enforcement personnel against the Muppet population in this country. I weap for the Muppet population in this great country and fear they will be rounded up and placed in concentration camps.
How dare they use this title. I am so devastated by the terrorist attacks that I made my wife have an abortion when I found out she was pregnant with twins. To this day I still refuse to wear matching socks.
I think it is truly insensitive to name the move the Two Towers in light of the recent tragedy. It could easily be renamed something less hurtful like The Twin Towers and I think everyone affected by the horrible events would appreciate the change.
Who cares!! LOTR is just a rip-off of Gary Gygax's AD&D...ervbody knows it. George Lucas ROCKS! Attack of the clones will clobber spider-fag!!! ALL YOUR TOWERS ARE BELONGS TO LUCAS!
This is an outrage!!!! We should crash a plane into the Newline Cinema corporate hedquarters in protest!!!
Please, pleeeeeease don't refer to the movie as "Two Towers". Oh the memories, the horrible memories. Anyone who could support that must be nuts. Oh, "nuts". Oh the AGONY! I can't believe I used that word. It reminds me of the pain and distress I suffered when I racked my balls on my bicycle when I was 13.

:laugh:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Some words of hope from top man Casey Scott:
If Szulkin, Craven and co. unearthed an uncut print with an R-rated logo before it, this could still be touted by MGM as an uncut print. As noted in Szulkin's book, there were several prints that made the rounds in the US that were completely uncut that simply put an MPAA R logo before the film, even though it hadn't actually been submitted. Or am I being too hopeful? I still find it hard to believe that both Szulkin and Craven would allow this to happen, and MGM doesn't shy away from unrated material.
http://www.mhvf.net/forum/cult/posts/12710.html

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Let's not panic yet. The press release for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 said it would be R-rated as does the jacket art, when in fact it is the unrated cut.
Jeff

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
DVDFile has corrected things:

Hey all...more info has come in regarding that Last House on the Left DVD, arriving 8/27 from MGM. We received an email from the disc's producer himself, David Szulkin, who clears up misinformation on the official press release from MGM, which claims that only the R-Rated, 84-minute cut of the film is included on the DVD. According to Szulkin, the DVD, in fact, includes the uncensored European cut of the film, as well as "the long-lost disembowelment scene in its complete, raw form-assembled from never-before-seen dailies" as part of the 30 minutes of included bonus materials. Yikes, sounds scary, and thanks to Mr. Szulkin for the update. Too bad the MGM press materials didn't state the correct info, and we apologize for any exabercated fears this caused the fans.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Good news....I quess that tiem will tell what will be happening.

IF IT IS TRUE THAT THIS IS THE UNCENSORED VERSION....other studio's take note please.

IF IT IS NOT THE UNCENSORED VERSION...other studios don't make the same mistakes and then wonder why things don't sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks