What's new

Last House on the Left review (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'll probably just pick it up for the commentary...I've noticed in recent months I've become a huge fan of Wes Craven commentaries.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey Matt, hate to jump topic but if you like his commentaries, you would probably really like the documentary American Nightmare. Seems him and other horror filmmakers of his era were heavily influenced by the Vietnam War. Very interesting man. Check out the documentary if you haven't already seen it.
Have never seen this movie but have heard a lot about it and can't wait to pick it up. Will have to watch it alone though, wife would never stomach it.:)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That was the doc shown on IFC a couple years ago wasn't it? If so, yes I did see it...it had Romero, Carpenter, Craven, Hooper, etc...IIRC.

Is it out on DVD?

Robin Warren

Second Unit
I don't know if its out on DVD but it is on IFC quite often, it was just played a couple of weekends ago on their Weekend of the Living Dead. Tom Savini going into graphic detail of the horrors of the Vietnam War and how it encouraged his work is really quite something.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
All I said was I liked Scream more than LHOTL, and I ribbed on it a little...it's not like I bashed anyone in here...and that scream hater comment was a joke...did you miss the grin?? sorry for having an opinion...sheesh
What's the point in starting a thread if you only want people who liked the movie to respond??? whatever...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...ven_wes/1.html
This is the specific part where het talks about LHOTL
At the present time you cannot go out and do something like THE HILLS HAVE EYES or THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT. I don't think you can get that by anybody today, you know, where the movie just doesn't quit. So what happens is that you've got SCARY MOVIE. But I don't think the audience goes away for the hardcore type of stuff. I think the cycle is almost really in the alertness of the censors. As things become more and more benign or inane in the content, then (the censors) sort of relax, and someone can come with something sort of on a smaller scale that gets written about and gets rated R before they realize it's going to take off like a rocket. And then (the censors) all fall back and say, "Oh my God, no more of this." And then the next 20 people have a much harder time. And there are all sorts of tricks that horror film director's trade amongst themselves. You know, like shooting outrageously, grossly gory stuff and putting it in the print that you send so that you can cut back and they can feel like they've done their job.
------------------------------------------------------------there is much more ofcourse which is more about his 30 years in the biz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks