What's new

Last House on the Left review (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ontheleft.html
Filmmaker Wes Craven has always been undervalued as an intellectual filmmaker, but along with producer Sean S. Cunningham (best known for creating the long-running Friday the 13th franchise) quickly became the enfant terribles of early 70's exploitation filmmaking after The Last House on the Left. The film is crude and the cast and crew inexperienced, but that is precisely what gives the film its power. It's as raw as it gets, but feels authentic in a way that a glossy, big budget production never could.
Can anybody tell me if this is as scary as people are saying about this movie
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
You can pick it up for £8.99 at Movietyme. It most certainly is a landmark cinematic and social document, and has far more importance than many other exploitation classics. Roger Ebert loves the film, awarding it 3 1/2 stars, for what it's worth.

Esten

Supporting Actor
It's not really scary,but it is quite disturbing.It definitely is a landmark film.
Can't believe this is the same guy that directed "Scream".

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am a fan of Wes Craven, so I might check this film out. The movie of his I REALLY wish was on DVD is the People Under the Stairs.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
lol. :)
I agree, this movie has always been disturbing to me, it never really scared me other than the fact that this kind of thing really does happen, and it's good that there's an accurate portrayal of events like this on film. It's realistic that the girls don't get away, in any hollywood film today, Mari would have gotten away, you know she would.
If I recall, Ebert was one of the only critics not to bash the movie.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I love this film, and can't wait to get the DVD! My praises to MGM for releasing it uncut. Craven hasn't made a good film in several years now, but LHOTL is one of his 5 classics. I still like Craven, because even if he did make crap like the SCREAM series, I will always treasure his 5 horror classics.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Definitely a disturbing movie. I had a difficult time sitting through it. It all seemed so real. The actors were too damn good in it, to tell you the truth.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It did seem way too real. I remember my mom telling me about it when I was a little tike (I'm only 20)...and I finally got a chance to catch it a couple Halloween's ago on IFC...really frightening imagery...bleak, depressing, disturbing.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
THREAD CRASHING NOT ALLOWED. THIS IS A DISCUSSION BY FANS OF THE MOVIE. DO NOT RE-POST.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm not a Scream hater by any means...in fact I love Scream 1 and 2, but to even put these films in the same category is nuts. Not necesarily in regards to quality, as that is opinion question...but they aren't even really in the same genre.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, in my opinion, his 5 classics are:
THE HILLS HAVE EYES
THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW
DEADLY BLESSING- this one is criminally underrated.
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Justin_S
Thanks for this as I have only seen Nightmare On Elm Street of the 5, are they all on dvd though.
:D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, of the five, only NIGHTMARE and SERPENT are on DVD, and I'm not totally sure, but I think SERPENT may be OOP. And of course you know LHOTL will be on DVD soon. :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Justin, I am getting very curious about Left House so just might pick this up at the right price
:D

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
So is the film completely uncut then? DVDFile's review is not completely clear on this matter. Is it "as uncut as it's ever been" or REALLY uncut? I think I read some time ago that some gory material would be included in the supplements only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks