Last House on the Left dvd question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul B, May 1, 2004.

1. Paul B

Paul B Auditioning

on the r2 anchor bay disc, there is a version of the film called krug and company. what are the differences between that version and the film itself?

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

I haven't seen that DVD of the movie, but I believe Krug and Company was one of the alternate titles for the movie. The film had 4-5 different titles when it was released.

However, I don't know how much is cut from the R2 version. I believe MGM found it impossible to put all the cut scenes back into the R1 DVD because they simply didn't exist anymore.

3. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Paul,
    I own the r2 version of Last House, but I havn't watched the "Krug & Co." version because I own the MGM edition. The only reason I bought the R2 version was for the features which are great. The documentary on disc 1 talks about the fact that the British Film Classification Board still insists that the uncut version of the film is not "suitable for public viewing". Roger is correct that the film had several different titles during its initial release and certain scenes are still not complete. The running time on the MGM version is 84 minutes while the R2 says 81 minutes in PAL. I hope this helps.

4. Michael-de-Mat

Does anyone know if the current MGM, DVD release of "Last House On The Left" runs 84 or 91 minutes?

BestPrices.com says 84 minutes and Amazon.com says 91 minutes.

5. Steven_T

Steven_T Auditioning

I own the 2 disc R2 Anchor Bay edition, but have not yet watched the Krug and Company version. However, the documentary states that this version of the film is one of the American Cinema's own cuts. When the film was released in the US, cinemas actually cut the film themselves and this is one such version that was found. As far as I am aware it is not endorsed by Wes Craven or any of the production team, it is simply there as a matter of interest.

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    The Anchor Bay UK version is also cut by around a minute or so. The deleted scenes are included on one of the featurettes though. If you're wanting to see this uncut the ABUK disc is not the one to get. The "alternate version" just has the title changed and that's the only difference I noticed (besides the fact it appears to be a 16mm print). It too was cut in order to get passed in the UK.

The extras alone are worth the price though.

7. Michael-de-Mat

I recently obtained the MGM release and it runs 84 minutes. It also includes special features which include the cut footage from the original.

Some of the cut footage is without the audio portion however which has been lost. Still, it gives you the directors original scenes that were to be included in the film before the censors would not allow it.

8. Jerry O

Jerry O Extra

The Krug and Company version contains a few small changes, nothing too big but worth watching for fans.