Last (Hopefully Not Ever) Film You Saw In A Theater.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Assuming jury duty doesn't count as a "theater",
Okay, I've gotta ask, is there a story here about you seeing a movie while on jury duty?

Also, something very weird occurred to me. As I posted before, the last movie I had the privilege of seeing in the theater before the shutdown was Onward. Of course, it is on VOD now and will be on Disney+ next week; this we know. But earlier this week The Digital Bits reported that its physical disc release is likely going to be June 9. That makes sense because Disney usually brings their March theatrical titles to Blu-ray in June, so the disc version is coming the same time that it would have if the theatrical release had been able to run its natural course.

But what's weird to me is that it's probable that I will own the last movie I saw in a theater on disc before I actually get to see something else in the theater. That's so bizarre to me. It's the times we're living in, and that's the way it was to be, so I'm not complaining. But it's bizarre.

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Okay, I've gotta ask, is there a story here about you seeing a movie while on jury duty?

Also, something very weird occurred to me. As I posted before, the last movie I had the privilege of seeing in the theater before the shutdown was Onward. Of course, it is on VOD now and will be on Disney+ next week; this we know. But earlier this week The Digital Bits reported that its physical disc release is likely going to be June 9. That makes sense because Disney usually brings their March theatrical titles to Blu-ray in June, so the disc version is coming the same time that it would have if the theatrical release had been able to run its natural course.
I think Onward's date might change since it's probably designed to sync up with Soul's theatrical release date and I'd assume that's going to move too.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think Onward's date might change since it's probably designed to sync up with Soul's theatrical release date and I'd assume that's going to move too.
I doubt that very much. Even if Soul does get delayed (which I agree with you is very likely to happen), Onward is already available digitally and will be on Disney+ next week. So, if it is already out there, then what would be the point of holding back the disc later than its original release plan? Unfortunately, I think Onward probably won't sell as many discs as it normally would have because it's going to be on Disney+ first, instead of second. People like us who collect discs will still want it, but a lot of families will just think it's fine to stream it whenever on Disney+ and they don't need to buy a copy. So I think they'll just put it out on its normal schedule.

Alice in Wonderland, Oz the Great and Powerful, Zootopia and Beauty and the Beast were all released on disc in June following March theatrical releases. This is Disney's pattern regardless of another film's theatrical release. I don't see any reason for them to break from that with Onward just because of Soul.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I doubt that very much. Even if Soul does get delayed (which I agree with you is very likely to happen), Onward is already available digitally and will be on Disney+ next week. So, if it is already out there, then what would be the point of holding back the disc later than its original release plan? Unfortunately, I think Onward probably won't sell as many discs as it normally would have because it's going to be on Disney+ first, instead of second. People like us who collect discs will still want it, but a lot of families will just think it's fine to stream it whenever on Disney+ and they don't need to buy a copy. So I think they'll just put it out on its normal schedule.
Yeah, with its availability on DIsney +, there isn't much reason to not release it. As it stands, they should sell it on disc as soon as they can get them made.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As it stands, they should sell it on disc as soon as they can get them made.
Agreed, If it can be sooner, it probably should be, but I expect it to be June, which is fine. I do hope that Dan Scanlon was able to record commentary for it, which of course is a staple of Pixar discs -- I think they usually do that around the time the movie comes out. I have the steelbook preordered with my local Best Buy and will happily pick it up whenever it is available, but I would be in favor of a delay if for some reason the commentary wasn't recorded before the coronavirus shutdown Hollywood.

Edit: I just tweeted to Dan Scanlon to ask if he had recorded commentary. We'll see if he responds.

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Agent
Reaction score
Real Name
Joseph
I went to small theaters three times during that last week before everything was shuttered. It was eerie. Almost empty houses. People consciously were selecting seats as far away from each other as possible.
One of the three started with me all by myself (YOUNG AHMED). About 5 minutes in, an older woman stumbled in an sits in the row in front of me. 10 seconds later she starts coughing!!! 30 seconds after that, AGAIN!!! I couldn't f'ng believe it. I ran all the way to the back of the theater. Only about 6 or 7 people in the house. Large theater. Folks spread widely out. Eerie. Quiet. No mingling before or afterwards.
The whole week was surreal.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2