What's new

Last hookup question (1 Viewer)

Kenny-

Auditioning
I would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me. I just have one last question and my system should be ready to go.

To get standard audio from my TV I will be using composite audio cables. Should I run composite cables from both the DVD player and Sat reciever directly to the TV? Or can I just run 1 composite audio cable from my Kenwood reciever to the TV since it has Optical cables running into it from both the DVD player and Sat reciever?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Best, most reliable results, are usually obtained when there is no audio connection from the TV to the Surround AVR. I guess, you have to if there your HDTV Tuner is in the display itself though.

Hard to really grasp, digital audio connections made to your display. Maybe I am behind the times some on this one though.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

First, composite is only video. You are speaking about analog audio or RCA red/white cables.

Next, what are you looking for when you say "To get standard audio from my TV". Do you want to sometimes use the TV speakers to hear DVD and satellite without turning on the receiver? Do you want non-satellite audio that is tuned through the TV to be heard through your receiver? Or do you want to use your TV speakers at the same time as your surround sound (really, really bad idea).

Answer these and we'll be able to help further.

Kenny-

Auditioning
Basically as of now... I have this setup:

DVD player connected to JVC HD-ILA via component video cables
DVD player connected to Kenwood Home theater via Optical cable

HD Voom Sat. Reciever connected to TV via DVI to HMTB cable
HD Sat. Reciever connected to Home theater via Optical cable

I assume the TV speakers will not work at all w/ this setup?

Anyway to get them to work ONLY when the home theater is off w/o having to constantly plug and unplug the RCA cables?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
right, because you have the audio sources going *only* to your receiver, via the digital connections.

if you want to be able to hear sound, without running the home theater, simply connect the analog (left/right) audio connections as well. sorta like this:

DVD player connected to JVC HD-ILA via component video cables
DVD player connected to Kenwood Home theater via Optical cable
DVD player connected to JVC HD-ILA via analog audio cables

HD Voom Sat. Reciever connected to TV via DVI to HMTB cable
HD Sat. Reciever connected to Home theater via Optical cable
HD Voom Sat. Reciever connected to TV via analog audio cable

now, you can simply change the input on your tv, and you'll be able to hear (as well as see) whatever you're trying to watch.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Run analog audio from the DVD and Sat to corresponding analog audio ins on the TV. You'll have to turn the speakers to "on" in the TV's menu if you have them "off" when using the surround sound. You probably cannot run the analog audio from the HT to the TV because it more than likely does not convert digital in to analog out, but you could try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks