What's new

Last episode of Andromeda(season premier).... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They stole something from Laurel & Hardy. The Magog look like the Bogeymen from "March of the Wooden Soldiers". Just look at the way the brown fur costumes look on screen it is a match.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I catch this show now and then, haven't quite figured out who is who yet... but those Ewoks were stupid.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep, aired sometime between October first and seventh.
Aside from the goofiness of the Magog costumes, though, I liked it, a lot. Sometimes it looks a little far-out, but I like that Robert Wolfe is willing to think big and accept it if the FX can't quite keep up. Yeah, Tweedledee and Tweedledum sort of looked like videogame characters - but their scene was great destructive fun that made sense. I loved the worldship, too.
Besides, Wolfe has demonstrated a knack at winking at the audience vis-a-vis some of his more outrageous plot devices:
Beka: Trance, wake up!
Rommie: She's got no life signs.
Beka: Since when does that matter?
(Tweedledee and Tweedledum blast Magog ships off Andromeda's hull)
Trance: How come we've never seen those before?
Rommie: Hasn't been much call for planetary warfare drones.
(Nova Bomb destroys the artificial star, which promptly starts to re-ignite)
Beka: That's impossible!
Trance: It's not impossible, just really really unfair.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I guess it's still on Sunday nights. I kept checking my local listings assuming that the new Season would stand out with words like "New". Apparently I was wrong.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be a character who is generated by the ship (some kind of hologram), and then there's a woman who looks just like her (seems physical). Same person? Different?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Andromeda Ascendant (aka Rommie)
In addition to his new crew, Dylan's only tie with the past - and most formidable ally is his ship, the XMC-10-284, better known as the Andromeda Ascendant. The Andromeda is a sentient being in her own right, a sophisticated Artificial Intelligence with a host of computers and processors which contain her personality.
The Andromeda Ascendant interacts with her crew through voice, holograms and video images of herself as well as an avatar, built by Harper, in the form of a very beautiful young woman. In this form, affectionately called "Rommie" by the rest of the crew, Andromeda can now experience all the sensations of a living being, even while enjoying her existence as the toughest starship in the galaxy.
Totally loyal to Dylan and protective of her crew, Rommie is very committed to the restoration of the Commonwealth -- with all the powerful means at her disposal.
Unfortunately, I'm hooked on this show, it airs Saturday and Sundays on DirecTV on WGN.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!
The show reminds me a bit of Dr. Who - a moral leader who is kind of a loner (not by choice), a loyal ragtag lot of companions, sci-fi scale epic stakes, and interesting dialogue and situations that aren't cliche. And a slightly low budget look (can't forget that part of Dr. Who, can we).

Users who are viewing this thread