What's new

Last Embrace (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

last.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So I picked this up as it is my favorite film from Mr. Demme and personally had a great time watching this again as I have not seen it in over 25 years. This is an offbeat story and an obvious salute to Hitchcock which I think makes it a lot of fun. It sort of feels like a De Palma film because of the more salacious aspects of the story, nudity and language also being more graphic here. It features the sort of oddball characters you would find in a De Palma thriller too. A ride well worth taking if you are into this kind of thing.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I only saw this once in the theater when it came out, and quite liked it. Some really surprising twists and turns.

I always liked actress Janet Margolin, who is great in this. It's terribly sad that she died at such a young age.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Reggie W said:
So I picked this up as it is my favorite film from Mr. Demme and personally had a great time watching this again as I have not seen it in over 25 years. This is an offbeat story and an obvious salute to Hitchcock which I think makes it a lot of fun. It sort of feels like a De Palma film because of the more salacious aspects of the story, nudity and language also being more graphic here. It features the sort of oddball characters you would find in a De Palma thriller too. A ride well worth taking if you are into this kind of thing.
I've been sitting on the fence with this one.....how is the quality of the transfer, etc?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I watched this one Tuesday evening. It was a bliind buy. The image starts out rough looking but as the movie progresses it gets better. I don't think it is bad, it has some flecks / dirt here and there.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
On the whole I would say it is an excellent presentation of an obscure, probably mostly forgotten film from 1979. I thought a lot of it looked fantastic. There is something about Janet Margolin in this film...she's just perfect for her part and at times absolutely luminous. Scheider is at his 1970s peak as a leading man and the other film released with him in it in 1979 was All That Jazz.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Powell&Pressburger said:
I watched this one Tuesday evening. It was a bliind buy. The image starts out rough looking but as the movie progresses it gets better. I don't think it is bad, it has some flecks / dirt here and there.
The "rough" portions seem to involve use of inferior film stock during portions that required heavy hand-held camera usage. I'd say those shots, with heavier and less detail grain, are inherent to the film itself.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Reggie W said:
On the whole I would say it is an excellent presentation of an obscure, probably mostly forgotten film from 1979. I thought a lot of it looked fantastic. There is something about Janet Margolin in this film...she's just perfect for her part and at times absolutely luminous. Scheider is at his 1970s peak as a leading man and the other film released with him in it in 1979 was All That Jazz.
My copy arrived today, a decision in part due to your recommendation :) I saw this about 10 years ago and found it very interesting. Now its almost forgotten. Hopefully others like me will rediscover (or discover) it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks