What's new

Last Comic Standing... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone watched the new season? They still seem to be picking people who may not be the funniest, but that might fit better in a house.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be running a story about this later in the week but have you watched for the past couple seasons? There is no house anymore. They live in hotels separately and just meet up for a couple brief challenges before having the big showdown at the end. They ruined the show.

And why did they choose Eddie Peppitone, a known comic actor who was in OLD SCHOOL and countless sitcoms. Plus, he wasn't very funny.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago when they changed the format. The best years were the 1st and 2nd seasons. I have tried to watch it since but it wasn't funny any more.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Like that female comic from Austin. Their was only 2 choices and she was one of them?!? Their were at least 4 other comics who were much funnier. Same with the female comic who won in LA...The one wearing the leatherish jacket.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
It's still stand-up on TV, which there isn't much of other than the late night monologues. I'll bet a lot of the people are chosen for reasons of "diversity" rather than talent.

Didn't they use to choose many more comics from each live performance? Now it's only 2 or 3 people out of maybe 20.

I never thought seeing them in a house together amounted to much, except in rare cases like when they sent someone (Dat Phan?) on a wild goose chase. Since their living arrangement has nothing to do with the competition (unlike, say, Survivor), why show it?

It probably saves a lot of money not having a crew filming them in a house.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Everything you are saying is correct....until....you mentioned the house not being anything. That was the best part of the show. How can you forget...

-Rich Voss' ironing commentaries.
-Catch the mouse.
-Voss and the other guy in the tub.

My only beef with the first season is that Dat Phan won. He did the same routine over and over and I just don't think he was the funniest.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Didn't they put them all on the Queen Mary last year - that was kind of like a house? They ended up living together, and going everywhere in a school bus. I think they still have the idea of the house and the living together, it is just not shown as much. They haven't gotten to that point yet, so I don't know what they are going to do this year.

As for your comment, "My only beef with the first season is that Dat Phan won" - I could not agree more.

I was at a family function, and one of my brother-in-laws was saying how funny he thought that Dat was...I was just scratching my head. He never made me laugh once and was just annoying...

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
May be I got my years mixed up. The year Josh Blue won, they were all housed on the Queen Mary...Just found out that was the year before...

Josh Blue won Season 4...where they were on the Queen Mary...

Found this information on the seasons...I guess I just forgot Season 5...

Found a link with all of the seasons...

Last Comic Standing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From there:

[edit] Season 4: Summer 2006
Main article: Last Comic Standing 4
On May 30, 2006, the show returned to NBC with a two-hour special and a new host, Anthony Clark.

Neilsen ratings from Season 4 averaged a 4.4 share (4,848,800 households), making Last Comic Standing the second or third most popular program in its time slot.[clarify]

Josh Blue, a St. Paul, Minnesota native who has cerebral palsy, was the Last Comic Standing on the August 9, 2006, conclusion of the contest. Ty Barnett was the runner-up, while third place went to Chris Porter. Other finalists were (in order of placement) Michele Balan, Roz, Kristin Key, Rebecca Corry, Gabriel Iglesias, Joey Gay, Bil Dwyer, April Macie, and Stella Stolper. Additionally, Theo Von won the separate online contest to be the Last Comic Downloaded.

[edit] Season 5: Summer 2007
Main article: Last Comic Standing 5
Last Comic Standing returned for a fifth season in the summer of 2007. Comedian Bill Bellamy hosted the show. The winner got $250,000 along with an NBC Universal contract and a Bravo special. Unlike previous versions, this season featured comics from around the world competing alongside Americans. Auditions were held in London, Montreal, Sydney, Los Angeles, New York, Minneapolis, San Antonio and Tempe[1]. The fifth season began June 13.[2] This series premiered on British music channel TMF on July 4, 2007.

The final ten comics were Lavell Crawford, Jon Reep, Gerry Dee, Amy Schumer, Ralph Harris, Doug Benson, Matt Kirshen, Debra DiGiovanni, Dante, and Gina Yashere.

The season finale aired on September 19, 2007 in which Jon Reep was revealed as the winner. Lavell Crawford was the season 5 runner-up.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was Season 5 when things changed.

It still is a watchable show, but when they were all together, it brought a lot more to it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched the latter half of last season, and started watching the new season last episode. As noted, there's no standup comedy on TV anymore, so this is novel and fun. (I miss watching Comedy Central in college, back when they actually had standup comics.)

A question for the long-time viewers: Does the show always plummet in quality towards the end, with maybe 5 contestants remaining? As they cut contestants, they spent less and less time on the comedy of the remaining contestants and filled in with material from D-List comics. So even as the comics improved, the show became less funny. It was very disappointing. (And also sad seeing Gilbert Godfried disturbed from his 1995 cryogenic nap to riff on how thin Calista Flockheart is. :confused: )

To the show: I was disappointed the oomp-pa-pa guys didn't make the cut last episode. "Oh the humanity!" They slayed me. :)

I was pleased to see the crazy-frenetic guy make the cut. Reminded me of Robin Williams 25 years ago. (and it scares me I can now talk about things from 25 years ago...)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Does the show always plummet in quality towards the end"

There seems to be a formula on this show that makes this happen.

First, they seem to have to have an equal number of male and female contestants to start with. So, sometimes some that actually make me laugh will not even make it, while some that are just a little different, but not funny, will make the cut.

Secondly, the contestants have to have multiple routines, but there are always some that are just funnier and makes for a better set. They can't really repeat themselves and their jokes, so they use the funnier stuff just to get in and make the show, and then they end up with some of their bottom material as the show progresses.

On some of the challenges, they are forced to come up with new material that day (like the medieval challenge last year...) - there you can see who can come up with material more quickly, and also who just isn't naturally funny...

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Unless you are Dat Phan and just use your same 5 minute set over and over and over again until you win the competition. Sure it was funny the first time, but as a tv viewer it got really stale by the 5th rendition.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the Indian Guy in episode 6x05. He's the only one I laughed at (as opposed to a mild grin).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know its been a few days. But, how the heck did that English guy (Foot?) make it?? He wasn't that funny. Their were at least 3 or 4 others who were funnier than him. I just don't understand this show sometimes.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> But, how the heck did that English guy (Foot?) make it?? He wasn't that funny. Their were at least 3 or 4 others who were funnier than him. I just don't understand this show sometimes.

I don't know. For the showcase round, do they consider audience reaction in deciding who moves on, or is it just the opinion of the judges?

I'll bet we all have that same reaction, just aimed at a different comic who we don't personally find as funny as some of the others. just because we don't have the same sense of humor.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
There've been accusations about how the show is run by some past amateur contestants. Come to terms with the fact that you're not going to see that most objectively funny people competing and you'll enjoy the show more for what it is. They pick who they want to pick, for whatever reasons.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
So can we erase this whole thread and start over?

THE HOUSE IS BACK!!!!!!!!

Not only that, the most talented stand up (Iliza) won the final challenge over two Dat Phan like gimmick acts!!!!

I'll admit, I was prepared for the worst. I found God's Pottery to be extremely obnoxious, even in the house they were mugging for the camera, but I expected they would win. For once, the audience had taste.

This could be a great season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks