1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Last Christmas (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by steve jaros, Nov 14, 2019.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Title: Last Christmas

Tagline: Who doesn't have a little Christmas baggage?

Genre: Comedy, Romance, Drama

Director: Paul Feig

Cast: Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Emma Thompson, Michelle Yeoh, Patti LuPone, Rob Delaney, Lydia Leonard, Sue Perkins, Peter Mygind, Rebecca Root, Jacqueline Ramnarine, Jade Anouka, Laura Evelyn, Ingrid Oliver, Liran Nathan

Release Date:

Runtime: 102

Plot: Kate is a young woman subscribed to bad decisions. Her last date with disaster? That of having accepted to work as Santa's elf for a department store. However, she meets Tom there. Her life takes a new turn. For Kate, it seems too good to be true.

2. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    The wife dragged me to this kind of Rom-Com that I guess Universal is hoping will sleeper-through the next two months and make back its $30 million budget and then some.

Overall, it wasn't as bad as I feared. We get Emilia Clarke, the cute cupcake from Game of Thrones, in the female lead. We get Michelle Yeoh, still looking fabulous at 57, Emma Thompson, not faring nearly so well at 60 but still an excellent actress, and Henry Golding of "Crazy Rich Asians" as the male lead. The movie drags for the first hour but comes alive in the last half-hour with a twist that works.

Also, George Michael's music is basically the soundtrack, and even though I was never a fan, my 50-something self is now ready to acknowledge what my 20-something self wasn't back in the day, namely that he really was a talented musician. The music works.

B-

3. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    We just went to see it. I enjoyed it, and was totally surprised by the plot twist. My wife enjoyed it up to the plot twist and then hated it!

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I like Paul Feig so I've been tempted to see this, but boy, the reviews have been brutal!

I'll probably wait for the Blu-ray...

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've read online about the "twist". Sounds very hokey to me.