What's new

Last bit 'o' advice needed to jump into projectors (1 Viewer)

Dave Voros

Auditioning
Ok, so money for me right now is an issue, I would like to get a decent projector for about 1k or less. I am currently looking at the Infocus X1. For the price range i am looking at is this on of the better ones? The one thing that concerns me is that under "Aspect Ratio" for the X1, it says 4:3, I am assuming that it will display widescreen ratio of 16:9 as well? Of course when i assume i am usually wrong, hence me coming here with the question heh.

Thanks folks.

Dave

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You will set up the X1 with a 4x3 screen as it is a native 4x3 projector. When watching movies that are in the widescreen format then you will see black bars at the top and bottom of the image, in much the same way as any 4x3 TV. The Infocus 4805 is a popular starter option as well.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Neil, he could also set it to 16:9 and use 16:9 screen to avoid black bars if he wants, correct? I am also looking into buying my first projector, and I had to rule out the X1, 4805, Optoma H30, Benq 6100 all due to large lens/image offset & my low ceiling. I can't find a DLP in this price range with little or no lens offset, so I will probably go with Epson Home 10+. Neil, do you know anything about the new Benq 5120 projector due out in October? There was a little info. on AVS forum link that it will be 16:9 and $999. There's nothing on Benq's website yet. Thanks.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"to large lens/image offset & my low ceiling"

That's why you have keystone correction. My projector is the 6100 and it's about 6" from the ceiling and projects to about 8" from the ceiling with a "5" for keystone correction. Looks great.

It's an 85" diag 4 by 3 image from about 12'6" fully zoomed.

Brent
Most of these projectors are presentation projectors and are meant to be sitting on a desktop hence the offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks