What's new

Last Action Hero - anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Mark Gad

Auditioning
Quick question - Is 'Last Action Hero' Anamorphic? How is the video transfer for being a few years old? Anyone know if a re-release is being planned? (Is there a listing / archive anywhere of which titles are anamorphic / enhanced 16x9?)

Thanks for any help.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm not even sure you can get the version that has OAR on one side and fullscreen on the other any more. All I've seen is the fullscreen only one in the 5.50 bins at Wal-Mart and Target. Might wanna check on eBay. There is a Japanese Superbit, that I assume has a newer transfer, as well as DTS.

Mark Gad

Auditioning
Actually, Columbia House still has the WS version - (just wanted a cheap DVD to get free shipping) - thought this might do if enhanced 16x9 / anamorphic.
Thanks.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's anamorphic. It's been ages since I watched it, so I can't really comment on the picture quality, except to say that I don't specifically remember it being terrible or anything.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
Columbia House does Not have the widescreen version. When I ordered from them I got the full screen version. I sent that one back and asked for another...it too was fullscreen. So I returned that one as well and luckily I was able to find a WS version at Circuit City about two weeks ago.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It's not a bad transfer for the time, although if you compared it to modern transfers it looks pretty bad. The transfer was made in the late nineties, and is on a single layer, so don't go expecting perfection. At some point I am definitely gonan get the Japanese Superbit, especially now that I have an HD display that brings out the warts in every transfer.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator
I concur with Nick's post above. If you want a Region 1 anamorphic copy of Last Action Hero, you'll have to comb Ebay these days. That was how I got mine.

I ordered one from Best Buy and Amazon, which were both fullscreen instead of the fullscreen/anamorphic flipper from the original release. I returned the Best Buy disc to a store for credit, but Amazon sent me three copies without even looking at the box before just refunding me my money... :D

Nick

Travis W.

Second Unit
I've seen a few widescreen versions at Best Buy on their bargain rack. Some places still have them you just have to look. I picked this up on the film's seventh anniversary for 6 bucks at Shopko and I've never been displeased with the widescreen transfer. The only nitpicks I found is that the transfer is sometimes too dark but overall it's good.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
the superbit is one of my fave demo discs it was the first real demo of sdds and the dts track really shows this off

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The widescreen R1 disc isn't really that bad... the sound is amazing and the picture is actually not too bad.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The Dolby 5.1 is very good on Last Action Hero and will give your subwoofer a workout.

The 16x9 transfer is very grainy and has a lot of compression artifacts. It is a 2+ hour movie fit onto a single layer (the disc is a DVD-10). It was one of the first DVDs that Columbia released, and by no means is it terrible, but by todays standards, it is very harsh looking, and in sore need of a re-release.

It just pisses me off that Columbia keeps announcing Superbit versions of recent movies that were just released on DVD that already have great A/V transfers when they have catalog titles like this that could actually benefit from the Superbit treatment, yet they won't release them. I know there is a Japanese version, but I dont have the capability to play those discs.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Surprised to have found a thread on this that is so recent. Anyway, my query was on my newly purchased WS/FS flipper: does your copy start off with Spanish subtitles turned on? Mine does. With the "odd" way the movie starts, and the Spanish subtitles, and considering I'd never seen it before, I spent a while screwing with this before I decided the disc seemed OK.

I picked this off a new display of older Ahnolt films at Wal-Mart, the P&S-only LAH was in the bargain bin, this was the only copy with anamorphic-WS too. Yes, the PQ is a bit grainy, but serviceable, and the sound was quite decent, with some very low LFE.

BTW, I quite enjoyed this, I only have to look at Arnie and I start laughing, I don't know why... It *was* a comedy, wasn't it?

Of course the pointed (derogatory) comments about politicians in the film have a different perspective now.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

Mine does. Annoying isn't it?

I love this movie. Its too funny. My favorite line is when Frank dies: "I'm outta here." Good stuff.

I found a widescreen verion a few weeks ago at Future Shop in one of their cheapie bins. A few weeks later I found a widescreen version of Idle Hands at Wal-Mart for $6.88 so keep your eye's peeled. Widescreen copies are still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks