Last 2 MIA AFI 100 list titles: African Queen & The Jazz Singer

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joel Vardy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Of the original AFI 100 top titles it seems that all but 2 are still MIA:

1) King Kong: Strong indication of a Warner release later this year.

2) Bringing Up Baby: Announced release from Warner in March of this year [​IMG] .

3)The African Queen : Still MIA for R1 and no strong/weak rumors about a long awaited restoration and release from Paramount. Anyone have more up-to-date information? Admin's? Anyone?

4) The Jazz Singer: It could be argued why this flawed classic is on the list but there is no doubt this movie opened the door to the 'talkie' era in 1927 due to its popularity. Unfortunately, even though we have on occasion heard rumors of a 'project' its status seems even more doubtful than the more popular African Queen (showing up on several wish lists of late).

Any word on either of the last two. Not that I am an anal completist but I truly am wishing to have these on my shelf so that I can retire my tapes (though they both are recorded on S-VHS). I do possess a flawed R2 version of AF but would like to retire it as well.

Joel

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Last year, I predicted that "The African Queen" will be the last of the AFI's 100 to make it on dvd and I don't see any other reason to change that prediction. Last I've heard, late 2005. Warner stated "The Jazz Singer" will be released in 2005 during our last chat. If and when the Warner chat is finalized, hopefully, Warner will give us an update.

Crawdaddy

3. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Thanks, Crawdaddy,

I did recall that you were the information link to intentions on AF. It's good to know that there is a likely 12 month horizon on both titles [​IMG] .

Joel