"LaserLight" Hitchcock DVD Collection Quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Rakaska, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

"If it's too good to be true..........."
    I noticed two "Alfred Hitchcock Collection", sets at Best Buy this weekend. Each set had seven DVDs, and were priced at $49.99 each.
    They were from the LaserLight studio, which I have no knowledge of, whatsoever. At that price, I can imagine the quality must be comparable to the infamous Madacy label.
    Anyone have any experience with these sets?
    Are they "OK, everything considered" -OR-
    "Avoid like the plague!"
    (PS: I did a search and didn't get any hits on "Laserlight", so hopefully this hasn't been discussed to death.)

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I'm not sure, but I remember hearing some bad things about the quality of those discs.
    The Universal, Criterion, and Warner discs are very good. Be sure to check the current and scheduled releases. Compare the titles before purchasing. I think Criterion is working on Rebecca and Spellbound at the moment.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The Laserlights are the best of the cheapie Hitchcock's. That being said, they are not of as high a quality as the Hitchock releases from Criterion, Anchor Bay, or the major studios. Currently, Laserlight offers the best versions available of films such as Young and Innocent, The Secret Agent, Sabotage, and the original The Man Who Knew Too Much. They are superior in every way to the Madacy releases and are cheap enough that you will not mind replacing them if Criterion gets around to giving them the deluxe treatment a la The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps. They ususally even contain some supplements such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes, trailers, shorter early Hitchcock films, and/or difficult to watch Tony Curtis "first time I've seen these cue cards" introductions.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

4. Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens Auditioning

I haven't seen them all yet, but the ones I have seen are much better than Madacy. Given the age of some of these films, I thought they were quite good. No, they don't come close to what a major studio could do. As Ken points out, though, for the money they are a good way to investigate the early Hitchcock years.
    -Gary