1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Laserdiscs were featured on HGTV's show Hey Remember.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StephenA, Jun 6, 2004.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I just figured I'd let everyone know that they featured them on the last part of tonight's episode of Hey Remember, in case anyone wants to look for it in the future. It really didn't have too much, except for a thing asking people off the if they knew what laserdiscs were and their comments about it, and similar things. There was also a collector on there who kind of seemed annoyed by DVDs. They also commented on how hard laserdiscs are to find these days and said that there are about 15,000 in selection. Not really sure if that number's correct.

I'm not sure, but they might have had a bit on VCRs at the beginning as well, but I missed the first 10 minutes. I only think this because the info screen mentioned VCRs as a bit.

I hope I put this thread in the right section.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Yeah, I remember those. The big rack full of 'em in the living room serves as a constant reminder. [​IMG]

Aah the memories. Ted Turner opened his vaults for the fine folks at Criterion. Foreign films were on Image's "Cinemadisc" label.

EDIT: And commentaries were something special. Nowadays, every disposable teen comedy has "director's commentary". [​IMG]

3. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Amen to that, Rob!

I still buy lasers from eBay and other online vendors, and I gotta say that no DVD tops the feeling of opening up a weighty LD box.

Long live the laserdisc, bless its heart!

4. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Well, over 17000 was released in US, and over 30 000 in Japan. Then we have a lot in Hong kong, Taiwan and Europe (pal disc's)

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Viva los Laserdisc. It is kind of sad how quickly we turned our backs on such a neat product. [​IMG]

I need to start looking harder!

Ryan

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I still have some sealed and just don't have the time to see 'em all. [​IMG]

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

As of this morning, the LaserDisc Database counts 34,573 individual confirmed releases, plus 2,592 releases pending confirmation, in all formats [including the German Fifth Element special edition with 3 PAL sides and one NTSC] from all countries.

That's a lot of stuff, including the original High Definition home video format, the original Audio Commentaries, the original Special Editions, the first Easter Eggs [I think I have the first such: AnimEigo's release of Kimagure Orange Road OVAs subtitled in English], the original bilingual releases, the original [and only! viva CAV] random access video, et double-and-triple cetera.

I am still buying Japanese Animation on LaserDisc; in fact I didn't start until after DVD came out [ :b so I'm strange...].

8. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Ah! I remember those AnimEigo LD "easter eggs" at the end of the disc!

KOR OVA vol 1-2
    side 1 ch 9, 59:03
    "What?! You're still watching? Trust us, there's nothing more on this side of the LD.

Honest! You wont miss a thing if you flip the disc now."

side 1 ch 9, 59:43

"Sigh. Nobody trust anybody these days!"

side 2 ch 10, 59:37
    "Don't tell anyone about these secret messages at the end of the disc. Let's KEEP it a secret, OK?"

The Madox-01/riding bean double feature one was cool

side 1 ch 20, 59:34
    "And the moral of this story is...
    RTFM: Read the Flippin' Manual!"

side 2 ch 17, 59:33
    "And the moral of this story is...
    The wise man's fabric of choice is Kevlar."

I should add this to the database!

9. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

This is right, but the database is still growing and missing a lot of LD's.

10. EricDW

EricDW Stunt Coordinator

As long as George Lucas refuses to release the ORIGINAL Star Wars films on DVD, my LD player will always have a space on my shelf for when I want to see the classic, untouched widescreen originals. When he said back in 1995 that it would be the last time that these would be available, he wasn't kidding!

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Not to mention:

"The subliminal messages in the preceeding space have bent you to our will! You will immediately call up AnimEigo and order all our LaserDiscs
    !!! And insist on paying full price!!! Better yet, make that two copies."

And of course

"Our thanks to Bob Niland, video guru of the Internet."

Mr. Kwong: Do you have the MADOX/Bean disc? and would you be willing to part with it on any terms? I cannot find one at all. I'm sure it was pressed more than once, and the contents are out on DVD now, but it remains elusive.

12. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

ChristopherDAC, you might want to call AnimEigo and ask if they have any left. That's a good way to get old AnimEigo LD, I checked last year, they had a bunch of misc titles. I paid $8 for it in the late 90's during the "great LD clearence" era direct from AnimEigo. I dont see any now, but I've seen it many times on eBay in the past...

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Yeah, I picked up a round dozen for $5 apiece a while back, but that wasn't one of them. I don't think they have anything left but the KOR boxsets, tho'.