What's new

Laserdiscs on HDTVs...? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I bought a Pioneer CLD-D505 over the summer, and began collecting LDs. For the most part, they all looked terrific on my 27" Wega. Well, times have changed, and about 3 weeks ago I purchased a Panny 53WX42 Widescreen HDTV. Needless to say, now all of my LDs are virtually unwatchable. My question is in regards to the player. I understand that picture quality increases greatly on some players...but would it be worth the money for me to scrap my 505 and buy something better.

I only ask, because I still love my LDs. I understand that I'm never going to get DVD quality out of them, but I wanted to know how much of a difference I would notice if I upgraded my player.

Thx in advance!

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't know how you have your LD player connected to the TV, but you would want to have it connected via composite video instead of s-video. Your TV more than likely has a better comb filter than the LD player, so you want to use it by connecting the LD player via composite. You could also try to get a external line doubler, like the Iscan Pro. The panasonic hdtv's likely weren't really built to get the best out of LD sources. From what I hear, the Pioneer Elites sets are really good with LD, so I'm waiting for the new elite models to come out. You would get a better ld picture with one of the japanese players, but they're really expensive.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
To answer your question, yes...I run composite from the player to the TV. I understand that other TVs work better with LDs, but I'm not buying a new TV...so that's not an option. I'll look into the external line doubler...

...any other opinions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Matt, just an idea: Switch to S-video and see what happens. If you've had it hooked via composite, it might be interesting to see what it looks like through an S-video cable.

(I know how you feel. It's the way I felt when I sold a Thorens TD-125MkII/SME 3009 tonearm/Grado phono pickup combo that gave me top performance throughout its tenure in an earlier system of mine. Sold it to get another turntable/tonearm/pickup combo. So I hope you are able to get manufacturer support throughout the player's lifetime. The software deserves to be enjoyed, especially by the people who have loved and supported the pioneering format for so long.)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Matt, the line doublers in most HDTV monitors suck. They're geared towards just good enough for VHS if you ask me. The Elite sets are the only exception I've encountered. Getting around most sets doubler is a step in the right direction. The iscan V1 & V2 are just as good as the Pro model. They have composite and S-video inputs which is all you need. You can use an RGB to component video cable to exit the iscan and hit a component input. It wouldn't hurt to get a better player that cuts video noise better too. The best results will be with a player that has really good S-video output because the iscan's Y/C seperation is not it's strong point.
Some folks have been using DVD recoders to process composite LD signals into component video. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a good way to get two birds with one stone. Best wishes!:)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Kewl...where would I buy these...and how much money am I looking at?

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Matt,
I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 hooked up to a Sony KP53-HS10 HDTV set. I just added a Panasonic DMR-E30K into my system to record some of my old LD's onto DVD. I have the composite out of the LD player going into the recorder then the component out of the recorder into the TV. I can't really say it has made a big improvement in picture quality.Mine was ok before hand but I was hoping it might help with some off the banding/smearing I've seen with various LD players and this tv. It didn't make any difference in that regard at all. Seems like a little sharper smoother image hooked up this way but not a big difference. The copies I've made so far at SP speed or using the flex mode look really nice. I got my recorder from Ecost for $529.00 delivered. You might try getting one locally or from someone with a good return policy and that way you could try it out first.
Good luck
Jim

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I think the answer is to get a better LD player. I have tried various outboard devices and just ended up leaving the LD straight into the projector (at least in my case) since that is where it looked best. Perhaps try a better cable too. The processing through the external devices does some nice things but kind of digitizes the signal and on certain things you can almost see the processing going on where frame after frame seems to go lighter and darker are certain light scenes such as skies. I just settled on a CLD-79 (and also a 704 I am saving for the basement which is essentially similar) based on the number os discs I have. I had others hooked up as well to try including a tweaked CLD-97 and the HLD-X9. Like anything else there are dimishing returns moving up the chain of LD players and depending on your collection and preferences you will need to make a decision on what is worth it and what is not. Based on the fact that only the small percentage of best LD transfers will look at good as an average DVD transfer and the number of discs I had, I ltd. what I got. This a a good site to look at specs and try to narrow it down: http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Matt, email me, I have a cheap composite/s-video to component video converter if you want to try that route.

Also, I may have a higher end player for a reasonable price.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thx for the offer Brian. I'll consider it...but I need to gather some more info first.

Rachael...any idea where I should look for the line doublers that you mentioned?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Matt, I bought V2, used, at a local dealer. They said somebody traded it in on the Pro model. I'd call any local hi-end dealers and inquire. I'm not sure where to look on-line besides maybe E-bay. Unless you need component in for something, go for the V1 or V2 where you get 2 S-video in's and 1 composite in. I just figured all new stuff I'll likely buy is likely to be component, proably progressive too and that it was my old analog stuff that would need to nursed along on the iscan. So, I wanted the 2 S-video's.
You should ask Michael St. Clair about the virtues of using a DVD recorder as an LD switcher. He's been very involved in several discussions on this. It sounds good what I've read, anyway.
Matt, there must be an iscan Store in South Park, eh? Cartman must have his liscence by now? Maybe he or Kile would drive you down?;) Anybody have a good strategy for Matt to find an iscan, out thar, sum-whar?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hehe....

"Give us the Line Doubler, Fat Ass!"
"I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned!"

I'll start checking around and asking more questions. If anyone has any other suggestions...post away.

Thanks so much!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Matt
This is just a thought but have you tried tweeking your video settings on your big screen at all ? I have seen Pioneer LD players on everything from Hatchi big screens to Vidicron projection w/ 110" screen. I have yet to see a terible picture with LD. Although I admit I have not seen LD on a HD TV yet. I would have to agree about the Pioneer Elite HD sets there are very nice and have great quality. The Mitsubishi HD sets are just as good. Let us know if you get your problem solved :) .

Luis A

Second Unit
I agree with Dave about the Mits big screens equaling the Pioneer Elite sets. I've owened both and like the way LD looks on the Mits better.
Matt, have you had your Panny ISF calibrated? I'm guessing you haven't put 100 hours into it yet so most likely not, but that's something you might want to do before plopping down cash for a doubler. Hope it works out.:)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Not yet, Luis. You're right, in that I haven't yet put 100 hours in on it...but I also just dont have the money right now (for either the ISF or the line-doubler)...I was just looking at my options.

On a side-note, I was checking out more of my LD collection last night, and I've gotta say...some look great. I must have just had a crummy transfer in the few times that I've checked before.

Thx again for the suggestions.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
The D-505 is better than most compared at the same level. but it isnt the greatest at cutting video noise. for your setup id go for the 704.

i recently had a d-505 and just sold it. people recommended getting a 704 and after lots of reading it was the best buy. now im new to LD this year. the 704 blows the d-505 away. they cant or shouldnt even be used in the same sentence. its such a difference i was happy to get mine locally for $250.00 with low use(15 movies) and its was mint! found it on ebay and th guy was local so saved on shipping too. it took me a while looking every night on ebay but it was worth it.

get a 704 you will be happy. on a mitsu it looks really good.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I have a Marantz LV-500 (a Pioneer clone, 1993 vintage)

Tomorrow, I will be hooking up an Iscan Pro for the first time to my Mitsubishi WT-46"809 HDTV. My expectations are that I will see a huge picture improvement from all my non-DVD sources. Satellite, LD, and SVHS look like utter crap. If you want to see how bad your internal Tv scaler is, just compare how DVDs look when you switch between 480i and 480p from a progressive player. If I let my Mits do the scaling by going 480i out of my player, its pure barf-o-vision. Im hoping the Iscan will make a huge difference.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Jeremy, off topic, but where is that picture in your sig from? That is an utterly frightening photo...As for the topic, it is odd how LD doesn't look too hot on most HDTV's. I agree, the nicest sets were pioneers and Sony's as well. I used to sell these and I did some comparisons on them with a laserdisc player.

AJ Garman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks