Laserdiscs at yard sale - Help needed QUICK please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleK, Aug 11, 2002.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

There is a yard sale in my neighborhood that has about 7 lds for $5.00 each. I didn't get them cause I didn't want to get home and find out I wasted my money. I can still go back and get them though.

The ones I remember are:
    Lion King widesceen
    Pulp Fiction (felt like 2 discs)
    Evil Dead (2 discs)
    Texas Chainsaw (2 discs)

Are these worth buying?

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I don't think any of them are anything special (but I, by no means, am an expert)...but 7 movies for 5 bucks is hard to pass up.

3. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Actually its $5 each.
    I don't have a ld player yet though. That's why I hesitated.

4. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Also, are there any special features that aren't avaliable on DVD?

Thanks,
    Kyle

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

KyleK

If your asking about disc quality (aside from any wear and tear on the discs themselves), I can only comment on the PF and LK discs. Having owned both of them at one time, I can say that the Pulp Fiction disc was a fairly nice transfer (THX certified) and the Dolby Surround track (no 5.1) is also pretty good (not much rear activity). The only extras are some international trailers, and the two discs are due to the fact that LD could only hold up to one hour per side. The Lion King disc was reference material back in the day, before DVDs and anamorphic transfers. The Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 track is simply outstanding, unless it was the DTS LD, which is even better! However, the Pulp Fiction Vista DVD comes out in just over a week, which will easily surpass any previous edition, and The Lion King is being released as a huge special edition next year. Unless you really need these discs RIGHT NOW, it's not worth getting a LD player just for these titles. (I'm not even mentioning any possible disc rot these titles might have.)

9. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess I won't bother getting them. I DID however, get a deal on a Citizen Kane 50th anniversary Limited Collector's Edition box set that has the script, a coffee table book, some pictures, the movie on VHS (no biggie, have it on DVD) and the video Reflections on Citizen Kane. $3.00 [​IMG]
    P.S. Is a microfilm reader worth anything? Is microfilm even used anymore? Would I be able to find any microfilm? You know, just for novelty's sake. "Hey come here, I've got a microfilm reader. Pretty cool, huh?"

10. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

KyleK, I REALLY think you should get the Evil Dead LD if it's a 2-disc set and the Texas chainsaw massacre if its a 2-disc set. If Evil dead is 2-disc it's the Elite CAV release costing 100$ new and have a superb picture quality and not in the new fake widescreen ratio.
    And the 2-disc Texas is a high-def transfer in THX and I think it looks and sounds better than the Pioneer DVD release and it has a superb gatefold cover!
    I would also get the Pulp fiction because it has a superb
    gatefold cover and the picture/audio is nice.