Laserdisc trivia question, Indiana Jones ToD CAV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, May 31, 2002.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Was Temple of Doom ever released as a CAV special edition? If so was it letterboxed? From what I've read elsewhere on HTF the only widescreen version was the one that says widescreen. Is that correct?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There was indeed a CAV Temple of Doom. I still have it in a cabinet somewhere. However, it was P&S. The only U.S. domestic widescreen version was a CLV disc. There was also at least one (and possibly more) Japanese widescreen LD, but I don't know what format(s).

M.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Never saw the CAV version, but I do have the WS CLV discs.

My IJ LD's say "anamorphic widescreen." Is this truly anamorphic as we know it today on DVD, or just the marketing lingo of the day? I don't have a big enough screen to know the difference, but am curious nonetheless.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Malcolm, I just pulled my RAIDERS LD off the shelf and it does say "anamorphic widescreen", but it's not. I have a Japanese T2 anamorphic LD and my Muse LD's are all anamorphic and these will all trigger the 16 x 9 mode on my TV set. It is a 1992 LD and for some reason back then I quess they thought they could use that terminology, then? Best wishes!

5. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joel, I just never noticed before. My eyes never strayed down to that small print. For me, I saw "Widescreen Edition" on the front cover in large print and that was all I needed to know, I bought the LD. Best wishes!

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I did some more searching on the the net for Temple of Doom CAV and came across several hits. Including one on great adventures, thinking it's a making of or something...
    There was one listed on ebay so I searched on google this site had a picture. Yet notice no widescreen, looks standard.
    http://www19.big.or.jp/~k_kiku/galle...kaku_indy.html

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I had the chance to do a direct comparison of the CAV and CLV editions a few years back on a reasonbly equipped HT set-up at a retail store. The CAV edition was definitely pan & scan, and the picture and sound quality were HORRIBLE!

The CLV edition may have some line aliasing problems, but the picture is definitely better. And the sound quality rivals that of many quality DVD 5.1 releases even if it's only Dolby Surround. A good example of this is the infamous "Bug" room.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There was a CAV edition of the first "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in pan and scan too (this was before letterboxing had become common practice on LD). "Last Crusade" was only issued in CLV widescreen and pan and scan.

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone, I had seen something else on HTF that stated there was only one widescreen verion of each movie. Then I saw the ebay listing and it had me curious.

Now I just need to find someone who's willing to sell a widescreen Temple of Doom... back to ebay.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

WSReview gave the CLV a 5 outof 5 for both picture & sound
    (LV 1376WS)
    Ratio of 2:35 to 1

13. L. W. Cobb

L. W. Cobb Agent

I've owned a CAV copy of "Temple of Doom", as well as "Raiders of the Lost Ark", since they were released. I also own the Letterboxed CLV copies of both, and I prefer the CLV's, for both the video quality and proper aspect ratio. At the time of my CAV purchases, my primitive player could not reproduce the effects in CLV that a CAV disc offered. After viewing both versions on a top-of-the-line player capable of reproducing the special effects in either CAV or CLV formats, I concur that the CLV versions have improved visual quality, and of course the proper aspect ratio makes the comparison a no-brainer. [​IMG]

14. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

I there anyone in "the know" who could list the different versions out there and remark as to which ones would be more desirable to own?

-EJ

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Thanks Phil that's exactly what I wanted to know. It's too easy after trudging through all the Star Wars releases.

-EJ

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Actually, the Japanese IJ trilogy Boxset is THE one to own. The transfers are less noisy and the colors are correct. My US WS LDs have a pink-red skin tone. The Jap. LDs have much more realistic skin tones. It also comes with a fourth LD that includes the making of Raiders and the making of Last Crusade. All LDs do have subs in the bottom letterbox though.