What's new

Laserdisc trivia question, Indiana Jones ToD CAV? (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Was Temple of Doom ever released as a CAV special edition? If so was it letterboxed? From what I've read elsewhere on HTF the only widescreen version was the one that says widescreen. Is that correct?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There was indeed a CAV Temple of Doom. I still have it in a cabinet somewhere. However, it was P&S. The only U.S. domestic widescreen version was a CLV disc. There was also at least one (and possibly more) Japanese widescreen LD, but I don't know what format(s).

M.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Never saw the CAV version, but I do have the WS CLV discs.

My IJ LD's say "anamorphic widescreen." Is this truly anamorphic as we know it today on DVD, or just the marketing lingo of the day? I don't have a big enough screen to know the difference, but am curious nonetheless.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Malcolm, I just pulled my RAIDERS LD off the shelf and it does say "anamorphic widescreen", but it's not. I have a Japanese T2 anamorphic LD and my Muse LD's are all anamorphic and these will all trigger the 16 x 9 mode on my TV set. It is a 1992 LD and for some reason back then I quess they thought they could use that terminology, then? Best wishes!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
anamorphic widescreen
Rachael, you should know this...

Paramount did this with all their movies presented in widescreen LD that was an anamorphic scope film - such as all the IJ movies, most of the Star Trek films, all the Jack Ryan films, etc... That is 2.35:1 Panavision or Cinemascope cinematography

With any Academy Flat film matted to 1.85:1 or otherwise (like Super-35) , it was simply listed as being in the "widescreen" format.

It had nothing to do with the anamorphic term used for DVD's today or marketing lingo - only an indication of the source material used.

Paramount never specifically stated the actual ratio of any of their widescreen films on their LD releases.

Joel

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Joel, I just never noticed before. My eyes never strayed down to that small print. For me, I saw "Widescreen Edition" on the front cover in large print and that was all I needed to know, I bought the LD. Best wishes!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I did some more searching on the the net for Temple of Doom CAV and came across several hits. Including one on great adventures, thinking it's a making of or something...
There was one listed on ebay so I searched on google this site had a picture. Yet notice no widescreen, looks standard.
http://www19.big.or.jp/~k_kiku/galle...kaku_indy.html

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I had the chance to do a direct comparison of the CAV and CLV editions a few years back on a reasonbly equipped HT set-up at a retail store. The CAV edition was definitely pan & scan, and the picture and sound quality were HORRIBLE!

The CLV edition may have some line aliasing problems, but the picture is definitely better. And the sound quality rivals that of many quality DVD 5.1 releases even if it's only Dolby Surround. A good example of this is the infamous "Bug" room.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Paramount did this with all their movies presented in widescreen LD that was an anamorphic scope film - such as all the IJ movies, most of the Star Trek films, all the Jack Ryan films, etc... That is 2.35:1 Panavision or Cinemascope cinematography
People seem to forget that the term "anamorphic" was in use long before anyone had even heard of DVD (or even home theater).

M.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There was a CAV edition of the first "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in pan and scan too (this was before letterboxing had become common practice on LD). "Last Crusade" was only issued in CLV widescreen and pan and scan.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone, I had seen something else on HTF that stated there was only one widescreen verion of each movie. Then I saw the ebay listing and it had me curious.

Now I just need to find someone who's willing to sell a widescreen Temple of Doom... back to ebay.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
WSReview gave the CLV a 5 outof 5 for both picture & sound
(LV 1376WS)
Ratio of 2:35 to 1

L. W. Cobb

Agent
I've owned a CAV copy of "Temple of Doom", as well as "Raiders of the Lost Ark", since they were released. I also own the Letterboxed CLV copies of both, and I prefer the CLV's, for both the video quality and proper aspect ratio. At the time of my CAV purchases, my primitive player could not reproduce the effects in CLV that a CAV disc offered. After viewing both versions on a top-of-the-line player capable of reproducing the special effects in either CAV or CLV formats, I concur that the CLV versions have improved visual quality, and of course the proper aspect ratio makes the comparison a no-brainer. :)

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I there anyone in "the know" who could list the different versions out there and remark as to which ones would be more desirable to own?

-EJ

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I there anyone in "the know" who could list the different versions out there and remark as to which ones would be more desirable to own?
Wow that's easy. There was only one Widescreen release of each of these three movies. That is the only one worth owning.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Thanks Phil that's exactly what I wanted to know. It's too easy after trudging through all the Star Wars releases.

-EJ

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Actually, the Japanese IJ trilogy Boxset is THE one to own. The transfers are less noisy and the colors are correct. My US WS LDs have a pink-red skin tone. The Jap. LDs have much more realistic skin tones. It also comes with a fourth LD that includes the making of Raiders and the making of Last Crusade. All LDs do have subs in the bottom letterbox though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks