Laserdisc to DVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Paquette, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Is it possible to take a Laserdisc and record its contents on a DVD that would play in a regular old DVD player? If so, how's it done? What type of equipment would I need? I'm ready to retire the laserdisc player, but I still have a few concerts that aren't available on DVD.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You might want to peruse this thread, or do a search on "capture laserdisc" too.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Mark, not only is it possible but you can get really nice results too.

If you're talking about doing it via a PC, then the chain goes:

Capture
    Encode
    Author DVD
    Burn

To capture you'll obviously need a video capture card. There are many types to cover all budgets.

To encode you'll need a good MPEG2 encoding package. The best one really is TMPGEnc, unless you want to spend a couple of thousand $ on CinemaCraft Encoder.

Authoring can be done using freeware apps or if you want something a bit more involved (menus, chapters etc) then DVDLab is an absolute steal at around $79.

Just to recap a topic that came up earlier this week - it is far preferable to capture then encode. Trying to capture directly into MPEG2 will not only cost you more, but also be far less flexible and will look worse.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've converted a number of my laserdiscs to DVD, and I'm waiting for a fellow HTFer in California to send me a set of his laserdiscs (he doesn't have a player) so that I can convert them to DVD for him. In fact, I just recently converted my "1776 Restored Edition" laserdisc and managed to have both the regular audio track and the commentary track. Of course, I split it over two DVD-Rs. The movie is 3 hours long, after all. [​IMG]

It's an easy process - just time consuming if you want it done right.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Now that I have a DVD burner and a firewire port, my goal is to see if I can get STAR WARS onto DVD before George Lucas can. [​IMG]

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Wouldn't it be easier to record from laserdisc onto a DV camcorder and then transfer the footage directly over firewire? Thats what I was going to try.

7. John_Berger

Only if the camcorder allows video/audio pass-through. If it doesn't you can't always record to the tape then back over firewire; however, I have always had "popping" problems from tape degradation with that method.

My camcorder doesn't have pass-through, so I have an AV/DV bridge (Pinnacle Studio Deluxe) to take the camcorder out of the equation entirely. Works like a champ.

8. Mark Paquette

9. John_Berger

I strongly recommend the Studio Deluxe unless you're also looking at PVR functionality. In that case any of the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro series will be more than sufficient.

10. Mark Paquette

No PVR functionality required. Who makes Studio Deluxe? Is that a brand, a company or the name of a product?

11. Mark Paquette

Since my LD player only has a composite video out do I just need to find a video card that has a composite video in? How about audio, would that go into the soundcard?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

DVDRHELP is a good site for other user comments on all things DVD/video capture/author/burn.

13. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

14. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Mark, I think you're better off having a capture card than can do audio and video. The Canopus cards are particularly reknown for having perfect A/V sync - the same of which can't be said for other manufacturers.

If you're capturing audio digitally and then synching yourself, you're adding a far bit of time and hassle to the project. I've tried it myself and gave up. The analogue audio capture through the Canopus card is so good that any difference in quality isn't even worth mentioning.

16. Mark Paquette

Ken & Rob, thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in replacing my video card at this point so I will look for a Canopus capture card as Rob suggested.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'm currently trying out the Datavideo DAC-100 (around $80 less than the Canopus ADVC-100), and will report my experience with the unit soon. I have finished doing a capture on my original Star Wars LD, will be going through the sound and MPEG-2 compression and DVD authoring soon.