Laserdisc storage, what to do?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I am going through my laserdisc colleciton and paring it down to things that are unusual, box sets and important to me. I have a good number of Criterion and DTS LD's that I am keeping on hand if I ever decide to view them.

But the vast majority are replaced by DVD. I am not sure what to do with the LD's. I am making room in my cabinet for all the DVD's I've collected and now I need a place to store the LD's! What have the members done, aside from selling them off? I suppose I can buy boxes designed to preserve LP vinyl records. And there are a few I am willing to sell, but they've been superceded by a DVD.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was an LD collector for almost 20 years. In that time i had close to 200. Now i am down to about 15. Of those 15 Star Trek- Animated was the last i didnt have on DVD. I sold over 100 of them when i saw what DVD looked like. I knew LD was going to die. The others i sold over time, for less and less as the years past. Some i simply threw away. The last 15 i just cant bring myself to get rid of. My LD player is the Pioneer 704, great machine and still works like a champ. The last time i watched one was about 3 or 4 months ago...the Criterion Blade Runner. For now the only way to watch the theatrical version of the movie. Cant bring myself to ditch the Definitive Star Wars box, cost to much. Kept my Criterion King Kong for the great commentary on it. The first of its kind, and one of the best still. I keep my last few in Vinyl record cover protectors. They sit in a cabinet meant for A/V gear. They were fun, but i guess when my player dies id just toss 'em. If you want to keep yours i wouldnt put them in a place where the extremes of temperature would'nt get them. Keep them upright, and dont pack them to tight.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I had several hundred lasers in the 90's. I still have quite a few, yet haven't watched any in over a year.

I was selling them on Ebay for a while. Was doing pretty well. But, then there was some deadbeat bidder, who seemed to bid on every auction of mine, never paying, and I just gave up on the whole thing. By that time, I had sold off most of my major ones, and had broken the rest into lots that I couldn't even give away (the Criterion TRAINSPOTTING no one wanted! And that was before the special edition DVD).

Now, I've got most of them in storage. Will probably have to eventually throw them away, since I'm sure a lot are rotted by now.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm always looking for Japanese animation discs (including US releases of Japanese productions, naturally). Since I actively watch them, my discs are in "live" storage, on open shelves ; I divide them up using these racks I got from the Container Store. If I wanted "dead" storage, I'd just slip the racks, as they are, into boxes about 14" square and 10" long, padded around the inside with bubble-wrap or sheet foam, which is what I did when I moved.

Did you buy a lot of Sony-Columbia discs, or have you just been keeping them in an oven? Most pressings seem to be pretty robust, after all.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I've thought about framing some of the more exotic jacket art. DVD cover art just can't compare.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
In the early 90's just before a local long-time major record store was shutting its doors, I asked them for some of their folding steel vinyl LP racks. Most of my collection (including a great number of box sets) would fit in the racks just fine. People coming to visit and see these giant LD jackets displayed like a record store get a real kick out of it.

P.S. my account is still screwed up. Who is Jim k and why has he hijacked my identity?

Keith Paynter

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Hmmm...guess i still have LDs that are not on DVD. Robot Carnival, is my last anime LD. I also have Night of the Creeps on LD. Id love to see them both on DVD, thank you!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yeah, I have the Streamline Robot Carnival. Awful disc, to tell the truth, although the bizarre dubbed sequence is funny if only to hear someone complain, in English, "Foreign languages are bad enough, but English through a megaphone?" I didn't think the movie, such as it is, was too great, but the disc is quite poor (colour and contrast are way off, and it's MAR, as you can see from the trailer and the unaltered Japanese credit sequences provided as a bonus). Some manufacturers made steel cabinets which would hold the actual discs in a special mechanism, but that meant having to store the jackets elsewhere — I guess they were for industrial use. I can't really explain without a picture, so just look below.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro