What's new

Laserdisc: special cables needed? (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

A friend of mine just bought me a laserdisc player off eBay for my birthday (I've been complaining about not having a way to view Star Wars or Indy digitally, so he thought this would be a solution for the time being). Anyway, the player arrived and is in great shape from what I can tell, but didn't include any cables. Is there a special cable for this digital RF connector, or can I use any quality RCA type connect (I have a BetterCables cable that came with my SVS sub that I didn't need; could I use it?). I'll be connecting this to a Denon 2802.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, when I had a laserdisc player, I used a coaxial digital cable for the AC-3 RF output (Dolby Digital). Does your player have a built-in AC-3 RF demodulator? If not, you will need an external one. You cannot run a cable from an AC-3 RF output directly into a digital input on your receiver. The RF signal must be converted to digital first. AC-3 RF demodulators do this conversion. Unfortunately, now that the laserdisc has been phased out for the most part, no companies are currently producing AC-3 RF demodulators. You may be able to find one on eBay, though. I used a Sony unit in my set-up, and it worked very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks