What's new

Laserdisc sound vs DVD sound. Which is better? (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
"So, some prefer DPL on Laserdiscs to DD 5.1 on movies."

Perhaps...maybe...Both are totally different experience.Some films are made for best presentation of 5.1 surround sound,some are not.If you try to crack up the volume to acheive what you may have experience in a true theater...you will not get it perfect.

DPL in home theaters brings audiences to a more enveloping surround field...without the harm to burst any equipments.

Try these DOLBY SURROUND tracks of laserdisc(if it is available to you),see if you love DPL or DD5.1...

BACKDRAFT(DPL laserdisc only)

FACE OFF(DPL + DD5.1 laserdisc only)

BROKEN ARROW(DPL + DD5.1 laserdisc, or DTS5.1 + DPL laserdisc)

CRIMSON TIDE(DPL + DD5.1 laserdisc, or DTS5.1 + DPL laserdisc)

ARMAGEDDON(DPL + DD5.1 laserdisc, or DTS5.1 + DPL laserdisc)

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE(DPL + DD5.1 laserdisc only)

...and others more...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So, some prefer DPL on Laserdiscs to DD 5.1 on movies.
I would give an example of the Star Wars so-called "Special Editions". I've read here many times that the ProLogic track on the first movie sounds better than the Dolby Digital 5.1 track. It's been a long time since I've heard them though.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Although I don't have the LD anymore, my recollection is that I liked Jurassic Park better on LD/prologic than the DD DVD.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I've posted this before, but for tracks that benefit more from improved fidelity than directional placement of sounds, PCM pro-logic tracks are frequently better than DD5.1. Specific examples include The Little Mermaid, many of the vintage R&H musicals from Fox, and most Steven Soderbergh films. Careful mastering can help close the gap, though. For instance, I have found the PCM track on the DVD of "Pink Floyd's The Wall" to be not quite as effective as the DD5.1 track, and I went into it with a pronounced bias fully expecting the opposite. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic Park is a good example of where I thought the DPL LD was better than the 5.1 mix.
The DTS LD was another story though ;)

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
Another great DPL soundtrack on LD is Raiders of the Lost Ark. The John Williams score is just outstanding to hear.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Wow.
That's cool.
I can't wait until I get my LD player and hear some PCM Pro Logic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks