What's new

Laserdisc/ RPTV opinions needed please (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Hello,

I would like to get some feedback from our laserdisc gurus regarding testing out a RPTV. I am going to be checking out one of the new Pioneer Elite 530 RPTV's this Saturday, and one of the things I want to test is laserdisc performance. I have both an Elite 79 and Elite 52 LD players, and I'm going to have to take one of them to the store to test with as the store doesn't have a LD player. I will be hooking the LD player to the tv via composite as the comb filter in the TV should be far superior to the ones in the players. I really don't want to have to unhook the 79 to take it in, I would rather take in the 52. My question is, being feed to the tv via composite, would there be a significant difference in the composite outputs between the two players? Should I take the 79 or the 52? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would say, take the '52.
I am not familiar with these players, but on average, mid-level LD players are about the same for their composite outputs. It is the high end players that you have to know more about. Some high end LD players deliver their composite output as recomposited S-video, that is, their built in comb filter is never bypassed. The manufacturer claims that the final picture is better that way because "time base correction" is done and colors are purer, which lesser grade players don't do.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I would take the 79. The 52 is such an old model. I would want to see the performance of the 79. The 52 was the second model I ever got. When I got a B-stock one back in 1991 it was already an older model. BTW, it stille works for my mom. She's had it for a number of years. Best wishes!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responses. I think I will take the 79 as that is the one that I will be with the Elite TV.

Christo W

Auditioning
Question:

I've been looking at the Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD, and I noticed it has a 3-D digital comb filter. I know that this RPTV is supposed to have a built-in line doubler also. If I had a high-end LD player, like an S9/X9, would it be better to use composite, or S-Video? Would using S-Video skip over the set's line doubler?

greg_t

Screenwriter
I believe that the Elite RPTV's have the same advanced 3-D digital comb filter as the S9/X9's, so I wouldn't think you could go wrong either way. I would try it both ways, and see which is better. If you were to get a lesser player like an Elite 79,97, or 99, I would say to go with the composite out.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Christo, to avoid the set's line-doubler you have to go in one of it's HD component or RGB inputs. You have to de-interlace ouboard to do this. With many HD-RP sets you might should do just this and use a DVDO iscan or other unit. However, the doublers in the Elite sets are top notch, so you proably shouldn't bypass them.

The comb filter in 510-710 elite sets was the exact same comb as the S9 and X9. I'm not sure about the newer sets but it's a darn good comb, maybe a little better...? I'm likely to buy a 730 myself and I'm gonna try it both ways and see. Best wishes!

Christo W

Auditioning
If the comb in the Elite set is the same as the S9, then logically a D704/79/99 should equal the video performace of an LD-S9 on the set, correct?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
No, it won't equal the S9's performance but it will get closer than it could in most any other situation. The S9 is better player in many little ways. It has better colour than any of it's lesser cousins due to other circuitry. The S9 gets a little better read on discs than a 99 or 79 because it's dedicated laser is optimized for LD playback. It's subtly better in little ways. I've had the 79 & 99, so I'm not quessing about that. The S9 was the best player I ever saw until I saw the X9. Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks