LaserDisc Recorder?!?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Grant B, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, I've never seen one of these before but I'd bid on it if I could find reasonably priced recordable media - not too dang likely! But I wouldn't bid too much; it would be mostly to have and I wouldn't want that much cash invested in it. I know these recorders were horrendously expensive new, and I don't believe they had re-write capabilities.

I don't like their checkout terms but it's not likely I'll get to use them. This machine probably doesn't weigh much more than 30 lbs., considering the $36 shipping cost.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

4 or 5 years ago i would jump at it but not today.
    I tried searching for blank media without success, pretty useless without it

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant, what in the world would I do with one? I've seen them on E-bay before. Happy new year!

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Use one as a boat anchor for your rowboat?

6. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer & Teac made industrial optical recorders several years ago. Their compatibility with other optical media varied. I think the Panasonic recorders were totally in-compatible w/consumer optical discs and was made primarily for training media. I have only worked with the Sony units (model LVR-3500 recorder & LVN-3000 players). They were bulky units that were compatible w/the LaserVision format. They outputed composite, S-video & component signals. You could record analog audio tracks. Pricing was above what consumers were used to. I remember Sotheby's in NY using them to record images for display at auctions.

7. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

SPECIAL NOTE: The discs for these units are enclosed in a special caddy (white plastic, w/ tabs to record and if I remember will ONLY play on one side. The discs could be purchased from Sony industrial media dealers. Just a few heads up BEFORE you jump into this venture. Take care!

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant, I do own a canoe, so that might be a good idea. [​IMG]

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Oooh, I want this!!
    I have one recorded laserdisc I found in a thrift store. It was made by Optical Disc Corporation, and it has a sales pitch for some time-share resort thing on it. The disc surface is red, like a non-rewritable blank DVD, and is in CAV with analog sound only, and it has etchings on the inner 'groove' like laserdiscs made by WEA and 3M do- it says "WORLDMARK SALES 1996" and across has the date "10/1/96". The program doesn't take up the whole side, and so the outer edges of the disc are solid-colored instead of "pitted", again like a partially-recorded DVD. The pits still go a bit beyond the end of the program though- my DVL-909 reads the regular stop code and stops there, but I have an older top-loading player that ignores stop codes and will normally play black video all the way to the physical end of the disc, but on this one it plays a few minutes of black at the end then just goes nuts when it reaches the end of the pits.
    The other side of the disc is silver with dots all over it- I'm guessing that side can't be recorded on.
    I like how that Sony recorder looks like a CED machine- I wonder what the blank discs for those looked like and if they play on regular LD players. I oughta buy one then get a license to put out new movie releases on LD again! [​IMG]
    BTW I heard around 1983-84 they were working on CED recorders- now THAT would've been something to see!

10. tstamps

tstamps Auditioning

I have about a dozen blank LD-Rs. Most are made by 3M. They are still

shrink-wrapped, individually, like albums. They are like giant 12" CD-Rs

but they are LD-Rs. I have a few by Optical Disc Corporation, with some

industrial recordings... they are heavy and red, as describe above and in

big blue jackets. They came from Crawford Communications in Atlanta,

one of the few companies in the country that owned an LD recorder.
    I believe the ones made by 3M look more like the color of CDs, polycarbonate,

transparent but possibly a bit more of a milky-white color, if I remember correctly.

I believe I have had these even since before the year 2000 when the

previous comments were made. It's too bad I didn't find this forum back then.

11. tstamps

tstamps Auditioning

BLANK LASERDISC has been posted for auction!

Check it out:

Link removed by moderator

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Welcome to Home Theater Forum Tim. We don't allow links to auction sites like Ebay. You are more than welcome to use our for sale forums if you want (free for members to post).