Laserdisc question regarding two discs and running time.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I own a few laserdiscs that are split over two discs. Two that come to mind are The Accidental Tourist and Frankie and Johnny. Both clock in at around 110 minutes. My question is why are they spread out over two discs when you can fit that running time on one disc?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Well, I just looked them both up and Accidental Tourist is actually 121m, and "Frankie and Johnny" (if you mean the Al Pacino version) is 118m. Whereas the former is just long enough to make a second side, the latter could have had a very long scene in the middle making it hard to find an acceptable break (you don't want to break in the middle of a scene) forcing the extra platter. Plus when you add logos and FBI waring to the time it pushes the 120m mark.

3. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

As previously mentioned, breaks in sides were a bit more "diplomatic" in the LD days than in the current DVD days.

One of the worst side changes in LD hisotry has to be the first Pan and Snac rlease of Pretty Woman, which switches right in the middle of a love scene and music cue in order to make it fit on a single disc which actually runs a few seconds over 60 120 minutes in totla time. This totally destroys the mood of the scene.

Had they put the break earlier, thaey could have done so at a natural scene break and better kept the continuity of the film going, but this would have meant 3 sides (2 discs).

Now with DVD, layer changes come at all times willy nilly. I assume sine the disc authors know most machines will be done with the break in a less than a second, they no longer worry about the cahange coming in the middle of dialogue or music. This annoys the hell out of me sometimes.

Some disc are better than others however, and many make their changes during fade to blacks or scene shifts, though the kinds of breaks I wrote above in the last paragraph are rearing hteir ugly heads more and more often.