Laserdisc question - outputting digital (PCM) sound!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_R_C, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Okay, I got a Pioneer LD-V8000 industrial player for $10. It doesn't always play the disc, but it' my first player (and all I can afford right now.) I also purchased E.T. for $10 (I don't want a C.G. E.T.!)
    Anyways, I can't figure out how to output the digital (PCM?) track. The player has 4 audio outputs: 2 digital/analog, and 2 analog only. When I output either pair to the analog inputs of my receiver, they work fine. When I connect any of the four to my DD receiver (digital coaxial) there's nothing.
    My receiver works with my DVD player in Dolby Digital and PCM mode. The laserdisc player setup menu is set to automatically play any digital track, and E.T. has "digital sound". It apparently does not have a DD 5.1/AC-3 track.
    My question would be, do I need a demodulator for the digital track, as I would for the DD 5.1/AC-3 track? I was under the impression that this was not the case. I hope I don't need the remote to change tracks, because there is none (although, as stated above, it should automatically play any digital track.)I hope the digital output itself isn't kaput!
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You probably don't have a digital output on that unit, and have to rely on the analog outputs to get the L/R audio channels out of it.

If you did have a digital output, it would only be 1 single output (either a RCA jack, or a square TOSLink jack).

3. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

Check out this link: http://www.ztek.com/pioneer/pionpdf/8000.pdf
    Your problem is indeed that you don't have a digital audio output. There isn't even an RF output for an AC-3 bitstream. The 4 channels of audio are for special types of (usually educational) discs, called CLV discs. Typically each can be cycled through to select either a language or a different audio track when running a lab experiment for say a chemistry class.
    In your case, the only thing you can do is use the analog stereo outputs.
    Hope this helps,
    Scott

4. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Yeah, I kinda figured as much, although CLV disks aren't necessarily limited to educational uses. Oh well, it'll be on my next laserdisc player (someday)
    Patrick, did any laserdisc players come with a toslink (optical) digital output? I thought they were all coaxial!

5. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

More of them include toslink. You might want to check the http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/
    for more info on what options are available on various players you may find.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Some folks here should read my LD primer in the Archives section...[​IMG]

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, my old (About 1989 ish? 1990) CLD-909 has a single optical out.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Eric, from what I read on that page linked above, you should be able to play the digital PCM tracks just fine, with analog L/R output just like an old CD player. Be sure to use the correctly labelled outputs.

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If your player has it, the coax is probably for the AC-3 RF only. The optical is for PCM, from an LD or CD, and DTS.

//Ken

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for putting in the link Michael[​IMG] I can't make links with the WebTV unit here at my apartment[​IMG] . I'll have to get the address of the primer using my mom's computer. Then I could type it in even using this primative device.
    Ken, nicer LD players have both coaxial and optical for PCM. Sometimes they only have coaxial, like the CLD-59. The RCA-type plug for AC-3 RF is seperate. This player has a 'V' in the model which makes it an industrial model anyway. Of the beaucoups of industrial models Pioneer made over the years, to the best of my knowledge, only one model has a PCM optical output. Unfortuneatly, I can't remember which industrial model that is. No industrial model has an AC-3 RF output. The industrial models were made to display stuff at trade shows or video of cars on dealer showroom floors and many other applications. They were not made with theatre applications in mind. Best wishes!

13. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Rachael, I think I found another limitation. This player apparently won't play CAV discs. Does this make sense, or is the player just acting wonky?

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

THat makes no sense at all. All players, especially industrial / educational ones should play CAV discs.

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Thanks Rachael. I was basing what I said on the half-dozen or so consumer players I've seen/had over the years.

//Ken

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Eric, like Phil said that doesn't seem kosher. It could be that the laser reader is a bit off and it stille reads most sides. It could just be a coincidence that it's not reading a CAV side? I had a CLD-S980 in the early 90's that would not read all sides, most sides, but not all sides. I can't imagine a player designed to not read CAV sides. Pioneer was always big on maintaining compatibility. I'd take it as a sign to look for a real player.
    Di nada mi compadre Ken![​IMG]