Laserdisc Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I'm thinking of trying to get a new (to me, anyway) Laserdisc player... probably off of Ebay. My old one is looking pretty ragged. Does anyone have any recommendations? Did Pioneer ever make one with built in AC3 capabilities? One that I wouldn't need a separate RF Demodulator... Does such an animal even exist?

Thanks,
    Ric

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'm fairly certain that none had a demodulator built in. And finding demodulators can be hard now. I wish I hadn't sold mine a while back.

Check the Basics forum. I believe Rachael wrote up some stuff in one of the FAQs for those interested in the format. Rachael seems to know the most about LD compared to anyone else I've seen on these forums. I believe she goes by Rachael B on this forum and Rachael Bellamy at the AVS Forum if I'm not mistaken. You could search for other Laser Disc posts and track her down that way if she doesn't respond to this one. There's been numerous threads in the past where she and others have recommended various players to others looking to get into this format.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

None with a built in decoder though I think MSB used to do aftermarket mods that converted it into a regular digital outputs. It's not too hard to find a converter unless you want one for less than $100.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ric, my advice is don't worry about AC-3. Sure, buy a player with the output but realize that most LD's don't have AC-3 anyway so be casual about getting something that would demod them. Just hook up the player up for PCM. If you actually listen to the PCM tracks on some AC-3 equiped LD's, you may find you'll prefer the PCM quite often.

If you're patient and troll around some you can proably snag a demod sometime for $60 $120 or even less. You could even get something like a Pioneer SP-99D AC-3 RF, AC-3 (DD), and PCM processor and plug it's six analog outputs into a 5.1 input. The prices on SP-99D's keeps droping. Prices will be continue inching down as more people pu LD in the past, I figur...?

It's easy to recommend what players to concentrate your search on, Pioneer CLD's 79 & D704 or the CLD's 99, 97 if you want to spend more. The only legtimate reason to consider a DVL model is that they're newer or even new. The CLD models are better but older... Good luck on your search and best holiday wishes!

5. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

A player I've been more than happy with has been my Panasonic LX-H680. Auto reverse, optical and AC-3 outs and I got mine less than 100.00 brand new! I spent more on the demod. When I was looking, I wanted a 704 but wasnt finding anything less than about 300.00, so when I saw this for sale, I jumped on it. I found it over at audiogon. I know alot of guys over there use or have used LD players in the past for CD transports, so, who knows, maybe you'll find someone selling a cheap one there. Also, look here, or, maybe, look in free internet classifieds sites that are sometimes run by local papers or tv stations. I know here in Phoenix, Ive seen 5 or 6 LD players and movies for sale in the past few months on these type of sites. I would stay away from fleabay for a player. In the last 2 years, the two players I bought off there and had delivered were both sent broken, although advertised "like new" or "mint".

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ric:

Definitely look for a Pioneer CLD 704. This is one of the best LD units (IMO) that Pioneer ever made. I should have gotten one years ago but my CLD 1010 is still plugging along just fine.

Parker

7. Ric Easton

Thanks for the recommendations folks. I will keep my eyes peeled. I won't be too worried about AC3 since that would only affect a few of my LDs.

Right now I have an older Sony model. I get slight ghosting on the images. Amd they have never looked very sharp. I know my LDs can look better rhan that.

I also have a Pioneer DVL 919 DVD/Laserdisc combo. The LDs look alot better on that one, but the DVD part of it is not progressive scan... so it is upstairs with the 36 inch TV.

The Sony is downstairs with my Progressive scan DVD player and my 53' widescreen.

Ric

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Except for the convenience of the combo player it may be less expensive to get a cheap DVD player for the 36" and move the SONY LD player (I once had one - yuk!) upstairs and move the DVL 919 to the big screen.

The 919 will look much better on that big screen than the Sony!!!

9. Ric Easton

Philip,

Believe it or not I thought of that scenario. The only problem is my wife does not want to see any new components coming into the house. She probably wouldn't notice a new/used LD player in the HT but she would certainly spot a new DVD player in the living room!

Still, it's a good idea. I just may have to wait til things cool down! I just had a room finished and bought the 53 incher and new speakers/receiver!

Ric