What's new

Laserdisc Player - CLD-D704 or DVL-919? for STAR WARS TRILOGY ONLY (1 Viewer)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
That is a heck of a lot to pay for just seeing those movies. With todays TV's with 3D comb filters, I would go with a CDL-D504 (the only thing the 704 adds is a better comb filter and digital out) and get the Dolby Digial box set (the last one published - black box, not sold individualy). Both should be able to had on ebay for under $300 total...maybe $350.
But you will need a demodulator for the Dolby Digial. Most new processors/recievers do not have it built in any more.
My brother did this exact same thing a while back. Here are a few examples of what I am talking about:
Player
Movies
Both could have been had for under $200. Add this:
AC-3 demodulator
And you are right at the $320 price point (plus shipping). These are your best buys for the money. $100 per movie..still expensive in my book...I can wait for the DVD's.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
Remember, some people really don't like the SE versions.
And as far as AC-3 goes, I'd make sure I was dissatisfied with the PCM pro-logic first...especially if my system can do DPLII.
It is a damned shame the 'faces' versions don't look better.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DVL-909 and I am very pleased with it. It is just step down from the DVL-919 as far as I know the only difference is that the 919 has an onboard DD/DTS decoder whereas the 909 does not. I got mine at Sears on clearance for $499. One thing I've noticed about the Pioneer's are that the color's seem more richer. I have the Sony DVP-NS700P and the colors on this player don't seem to be as rich. I watch alot of anime and cartoon DVD's and they seem to look better on the Pioneers.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I have an extra Elite 99 that I will sell for $695 shipped.

The 704 has a better video image than the 919.

Gregg

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
It's not that the DVL-919 has an onboard DD/DTS decoder but that it canpass thru dts on DVD's. The 909 cannot do this without a mod. The 909 works fine with DTS on LD.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
It is a damned shame the 'faces' versions don't look better.
Thanks for writing that. I was wondering if I was the only one who considered the THX discs to be so-so video-wise. The other night I watched the DTS Waterworld I just bought from E-bay. :b I thought to myself "why can't my Star Wars look like this?" If they did, I wouldn't mind the wait for the DVD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for writing that. I was wondering if I was the only one who considered the THX discs to be so-so video-wise.
No, you are not the only one. And the sad thing is that it looks like they could have looked much better. Excessive digital noise reduction, not poor film elements, are likely to blame.

I cringe every time I hear someone say 'well, at least the orignal non-SE versions are available on letterboxed laserdis', as I know how severely lacking in detail these transfers are.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for writing that. I was wondering if I was the only one who considered the THX discs to be so-so video-wise.
No, you are not the only one. And the sad thing is that it looks like they could have looked much better. Excessive digital noise reduction, not poor film elements, are likely to blame.

I cringe every time I hear someone say 'well, at least the orignal non-SE versions are available on letterboxed laserdis', as I know how severely lacking in detail these transfers are.

As far as players go, I agree with the suggestions that lower end players (including the Panasonic LX900, which beats many 'high end' players) be examined more closely. Comb filters in an HDTV often match or beat those in the old high end players, many of which (including the CLD-99) have no advantage over the lesser players than the comb filters, which are no longer needed for many of us! This may be why prices are dropping in the (domestic) high end.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Tod,

I happen to have a Mitsubishi MV-7057 (actually a 704 with a different faceplate, the feature set and performance level are the same) that I was going to sell. There's a remote but no manual (although I could copy a 704 manual I have), some scuff marks on the top but that's all. Was going to ask $300 + UPS shipping costs. Let me know if you're interested. I can take some photos and post links if you'd like.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have the Definitive Collection, but sadly one of the SW discs is now defective, probably laser rot. just as Tarkin is threatening to blow up Alderaan and Leia is squealing about having been duped, the thing freezes and I can't play the rest of the side. sigh. :frowning:
for "completeness", I suppose I should get a copy of Star Wars, "Faces" version, to ensure I have the "entire" OT non-SE available in future (hear that, George? :angry: ). anyone know where I can get one cheap in Singapore? a shop in Suntec is selling it for S$79 (US$45), but that's too expensive IMHO.
and I'm dreading the day my LD player gives up the ghost. as it is the "rubber" (or is it neoprene foam?) pad that holds the discs at the hub appears to be deteriorating, since VCDs or CDs played in it will stick and be "swallowed up", and I have to open the whole thing and manually remove the disc.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Looks like you figured out whats wrong with you SW:DC. It sound to me you have a problem with you player not your disc.

Tod

Agent
John,

So was your player manufactured by Pioneer for Mitsubishi? I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you don't mind. Front, Back, Top (just to see the scratches you mentioned) and perhaps a pic of the remote.

How many years have you owned it?
Are you the original owner?
Can you give me an idea of how much use its seen over the years?

Thanks!
Todd.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The 504 is basically the same as the 505, but the 505 had AC-3 output. It is not even close to the 704.

I have owned a 505, 704 and Elite 97 over the last 3 or 4 years. The improvement of the 505->704 is massive. Colors are so much more stable. The 704->97 is much subtler. The video bleeds less (almost not at all) on high contrast scenes, which is something I had experienced on all other players I've used. The 97 also has a better comb filter, but I had been using an out-board comb filter which is on par with the 97, paired with the 704.

I've also used a 919 before. It's much better than the 50x series, but slightly worse than the 70x series. If you don't need AC-3 output, the 703 is the same as the 704 minus this (though it MIGHT have a different (or not at all?) DNR as well.)

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The CLD-D704 and D703 have exactly the same VDNR (variable digital noise reduction) capability. I have owned both and there is as far as I could tell or ever heard no difference between these two players other than for AC-3 capability with the D704. Both remotes are also exactly the same (I still have both remotes and cannot tell them apart).

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Tod,

I'm not the original owner of the machine. I purchased it as a refurbished model off of Ebay about two years ago. It hasn't received very heavy usage. I took it out of storage in my theater to check it and the alignment is still perfect, not a hint of crosstalk on it. I'm posting from work right now so I'll get some photos of it and the remote when I get home and post the link in this thread.

I'll keep you updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks