laserdisc player advice....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Leland Mitchell, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Leland Mitchell

Leland Mitchell Auditioning

My pioneer cld-M401 has pooped out on me and I've been checking ebay for used players. I need peoples opinions on the pioneer dvl-90, dvl-700 and the denon LA 3500. I've done research and I know most people would recommend the cld-79,99 and 97 series. Doesn't seem like the cld-79 is in great supply and the other two are a bit high. The DVL and denon players are ones I'm having trouble finding owner reviews for. Do they have good picture quality? Do they compare to the cld models favorably or is the picture not nearly as good. I would prefer a cld-79 but can't find one so I'm wandering what everyones opinions are on the others. Thank you for any input.

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

The Denon LA-3500 I believe is based on the Panasonic LX-900, but has an upgraded audio section. It does not have AC3 unless added aftermarket. I have the LX-900 and consider it a better player than the CLD-79, at least for video. The CLD-79 is basically the same video quality as the Pioneer CLD-703/704, both of which I've owned, and I still own the 704. The LX-900 is the superior player for video and has a superior build. The Denon is just an enhanced version of the LX-900.

If you do a Google search for Denon LA-3500 laserdisc, there is a listing for a new in the box unit being sold by someone in Texas for an asking price of $550. That is a deal, if truly a new unit.

I would not recommend the DVL-700 based on what I've read in the past, it is an inferior player to those being discussed here. Not sure about the DVL-90, I think it might have similar video quality to the CLD-79, but I could be wrong--it's been awhile since I was researching replacement of my laserdisc player, and settled on the LX-900 as the best affordable option for me, as opposed to repairing my dying CLD-704.

I'm sure some of the laserdisc gurus who visit this forum will chip in also.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jay is on the beam about the Denon LA-3500. It is a clone of the Panasonic LX-900. It predates AC-3 ('95 in the U.S. & '94 in Japan). I first saw one in 1994. It's asking price was $2500. It has all the trick play features that the LX-900 & older LX-1000 had, Digital Field Memory, Strobe, Still & Sound, and Art (3 level paint function). It has one feature that's unique to U.S. models. It has a front panel switch for LD-Graphics that let's one switch between Graphics Tracks (different sets of subtitles) on Japanese LD's that have them.

The 3500 has a really good 3-line comb filter for S-video output. Well, it's real good by 1994 standards. You should proably use the composite video output if you have a set with a 3-D comb filter. It has an optical digital output, no coaxial digital out. The only problem with the Denon and Panasonic LD players is that the companies no longer suppourt their service. They're good players though.

The DVL-90 was a short lived Elite model from '97. It was quickly replaced with the DVL-91. The DVL-90's defenciencies are mostly as a DVD player. It has poor ergonomics for DVD menus, won't pass DTS for DVD (no problem for LD), and no component out for DVD. I don't like the remote. It lacks the Jog/Shuttle dial that most Elite players had since the mid-1980's. However, it's a good LD player. It's on par with the CLD's 703/704/79 with 51 db video performance. Everything I said about the DVL-90 applioes to the DVL-700 except it offers their post '95 "standard" video quality, 50 db. 50 db would be a quieter picture than your aged player did, BTW. Best wishes from Laserland!

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Keep an eye out and wait till someone dumps one. I got my 79 for ~$200. Check classifieds and stuff like that