What's new

Laserdisc - Pioneer CLD-V2400 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Someone gave me a Pioneer CLD-V2400 laserdisc player. Is this worthwhile for me to bother with? I'd like to pick up some cheap titles that don't exist on DVD or that have more stuff than their DVD counterparts.

Is this machine worth it? I don't know ANYTHING about Laserdisc. I notice that it has a L and R audio output. Do any laserdisc players have digital audio outputs or are all Laserdiscs played in Dolby Surround mode?

Finally, there is only one type of laserdisc, meaning discs I find should play on this thing, right?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Your player will play all NTSC Discs.A digital output will give you DTS and DPL sound. DD is available on some players but you will need to demodulate it;my preamp has a special input just for that,most don't.

I have picking up great deluxe editions for a few dollars...some have list prices greater that $100.Better players will give you a large increase in Video quality also.

Pick up a few for a couple of dollars and see if the quality is acceptable...and go from there

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hi --

I have some more laserdisc questions.

first, I notice that the player i have will play digital and analog soundtracks. I also have heard that sometimes the film soundtrack is on the digital track and a commentary might be on the analog. How does one switch?

Also, how can I get a DD or DTS signal from this player? It has an RF modulator ... I think that is what is required, correct? What else do I need?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Patrick, I don't know that much about industrial players which is what you have. Any player with 'V' in the model # is an industrial model. If it has a remote there might be an audio button that let's you go through the various audio output options. Many industrial players don't offer this though. The RF output you, apparently, see is for video and mono audio to be used with a TV/monitor that only accepts video via it's antenae input.
Forget DD or DTS wth this player. It's not equiped for such. DD needs the deadicated AC-3 coaxial output that's on post 1995 Pioneer players. You need a toslink or regular coaxial digital output for DTS.
Have fun playing around with this player, but it's not gonna be any good for advanced (AC-3 / DTS) playback. It's an industrial player and not designed for anything else. Best wishes!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply.

That's OK. I have DVD for the DD/DTS experience. Just thought I'd clarify what I actually have....

I shouldn't have a problem playing normal surround discs then, should I?

I haven't gotten any software yet...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Patrick, the player can provide you with Pro-Logic surround, no problem. If you have any problems exploiting it might be dependent on your head unit, which is doubtful running L & R aalog in's. Atleast some head units lock out PL from 2 channel digital inputs because they only do autosense and won't let you manually change to PL to matrix the other channels out. You won't have this problem running analog outputs.
Get some discs and play around with the unit. If you like LD's you might want to pick up a regular consumer model eventually? Best wishes!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm not quire sure what you are talking about but...

Right now, my receiver has a VCR and a digital cable box hooked up via L and R RCA-type jacks. My receiver allows me to switch to DPL on those units. (I have a Denon AVR1601). It doesn't have a separate input for LD so I'm going to have to put my VCR and LD on a switchbox.

I only want this thing for Star Wars and some obscure music titles that won't ever exist on DVD. Media is too darn big to store...

Thanks for your help!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Patrick, sorry for confusing you. If you had a dgital ouput on the player, which you don't, some recievers have trouble with LD 2.0 because it needs to be matrixed. Worry about it when you get to that river if you ever do. Go for the 1993 THX STAR WARS trio of sets. They're muy excellente. They're the best CLV presentation of the original versions. I like the 1997 AC-3 remixes alt except for the silly changing of the Gueedo shooting scene, ugh!!!! I like the adding of fat boy the hun scene alot.
You ought to run some searches for some other films you wish were on DVD, you may get some pleasant suprises. Oh, read the LD faq's here on the forum. If you need help picking out a consumer LD player at some point, feel free to ask me for advice. Best wishes!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Patrick,

How has this player worked out for you? Looks like I can get one of these very cheap ($5) and am definitely interested since I've never had a laserdisc player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks