Laserdisc Owners: Will you replace ALL of your Laserdiscs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Aug 27, 2001.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I was thinking, for those of you who have Laserdisc collections, do you use DVD to supplement or replace your Laserdisc movies?
    I would expect all of us to replace VHS copies of movies when the DVDs come out, but what about Laserdisc? I mean, we all know theres certain Laserdiscs that are better than their DVD counterparts, so it would be silly to replace those Laserdiscs, but what about movies that you own on Laserdisc that arent "must buys"?
    I have a couple guilty pleasures on Laserdisc that arent on DVD yet like LadyBugs and Beverly Hillbillies, but I honestly dont think I would ever buy a DVD version of those movies when they came out.
    I mean, yes, the DVD is better, but I really dont need to watch these movies very often, so Im happy knowing I own them.
    I guess what I wanted to know is, for the people who have Laserdisc collections, do you all plan on one day completely getting rid of your player and collections? Based on all the things for sale on ebay, my guess would be alot of you are.
    As for me. I dont honestly see myself getting rid of my Laserdisc player until it breaks (which I hope doesnt ever happen). There are plenty of movies though that will be replaced as soon as DVD versions become available (Indy, Star Wars, E.T., etc)

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

My ultimate goal would be to have everything I want on DVD, as having two formats/two players is a pain and takes up too much space.
    That said, there are certain movies and supplements that will probbaly NEVER make it on DVD, so I see himself as always have some in my collection.
    I used to have about 100 laserdiscs, but I have actually pared that down to about 40 or so. I replace every single LD that comes out on DVD and in rare occasions keep the LD if if has extra features. For example: I kept Boxing Helena LD box set for the features but also bought the DVD for the new anamorphic transfer.

3. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

While I doubt I'll get rid of my LDs, I would replace them all if I could.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

5. Al Fischer

Al Fischer Stunt Coordinator

I will replace very few titles with DVD. My beleif is, why replace something that looks and sounds great, with something that is only a little, if any, better.
    I'd rather buy newer movies as they come out. Since I can only afford so much.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

It depends. Some are no brainers -- better transfer, extras, etc. But for some of the bare-bones DVDs -- like this week's release of "Scanners" -- I can't for the life of me figure out how much of an improvement the DVD is going to make. So in that case, I'll hold onto the LD. But with some titles, such as the "Godfather" trilogy, I sell them when I know the DVD is forthcoming. Unfortunately, I did this with "Once Upon a Time in the West" when I initially heard that was due out this summer. It should be out in 2002, but I'm still kicking myself for that one.
    Criterions (not ported to DVD), box sets and LDs I've had autographed (Criterion Brazil, Criterion Spartacus, Criterion RoboCop) are ones I'll always keep. I have a bunch of obscure stuff on VHS as well that I usually replace when the DVD comes out.

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Considering most of the people who have responded thus far, are of the same mind as I am, I wonder why theres so many Laserdiscs and players being sold on ebay.
    I have a couple movies like Scared Stiff, which was put out by Republic Pictures which probably wont ever make it to DVD that I will always want to keep. And even if I only had ONE laserdisc left, Im not going to sell the player and have a disc I cant watch.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

9. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Since we all know that George Lucas isn't going to ever release the original un-messed-with Star Wars movies on DVD (no Greedo shoots first crap), I doubt I'll be replacing my Laserdiscs. Plus I have a few things on LD that I doubt will ever make it to DVD.
    -Steve

10. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

11. CraigR

CraigR Agent

I do not plan on replacing my LD collection (approx. 350) with current DVD's(approx. 200 in my collection). My wife and I just watched Star Wars the other night along with Indiana Jones which as you know aren't on DVD yet. I have several box sets and other special ones that so far are irreplaceable. One of these days I will get a back up LD player though.
    Craig

12. Robert Hutchison

I have an extensive LD collection (300+ discs, many boxed sets) and right now I'm just supplementing my collection with DVDs unless the DVD has a much better transfer or extra features that interest me. Such as the James Bond SE DVDs. Right now I'm buying about 5 DVDs a month and mainly looking for items that I don't already have on LD.
    I feel that the present DVD format is an interim format until a Hi-Def DVD is released. I'm hoping that the Hi-Def players will be backward compatible to play all of the present DVDs. The question then will become " Will you replace all of your present DVDs with a Hi-Def copy?"

13. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I don't plan on getting rid of all my LDs. I'll definately hang on to the Original SW Trilogy. I've also got a few DTS LD's that aren't available in Anamorphic-WS or DTS on DVD such as Stargate, Timecop, Sudden Death, Firestorm, and Strange Days.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

I also have a collection of some 300+ LDs, and I already spend way too much on DVDs that I don't have on LD. If I'd try to replace all my LDs, I'd have to sell my DVD player to finance it... [​IMG]

16. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I still watch my laserdiscs.
    I cant replace hundreds of laserdiscs with dvds just becouse the are better..
    I mean one day dvds are going to be replaced by something better, should I replace my dvds then?
    To many movies to little money....
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-08-17
    And PLEASE sign my guestbook!!
    [​IMG]
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

17. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I'm replacing most, but not all, my LD's. My first two Die Hard LD's are history now that I have the new DVD editions (I never bought the third DH on LD). And, all the Star Trek movies on LD are being retired except for TMP since that LD will be my only copy of the original theatrical cut as the upcoming Director's Edition will not have that. My Star Wars Definitive Edition LD Box won't be replaced for the same reason - that'll be my only copy of the original version which is the only version I'll watch anyways. I bought the SE's on widescreen VHS only and watched them once - but that's it, never again - only the originals for me now.
    Others that will not be replaced (supplemented with DVD of course, but not replaced) are some Disney stuff like Aladdin CAV in that cool looking blue jacket or my Lion King Boxed set. Those DVD's are years away and I will get them, but packaging is also a big thing for me.
    Joel
    [Edited last by Joel Fontenot on August 27, 2001 at 12:33 PM]

18. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I also have an extensive laserdisc collection (1,000+). While I am replacing some of my laserdiscs, I probably won't replace many of those laserdiscs that have a digital sound soundtrack. If on the otherhand, a "favorite" movie that is released on dvd with improved sound and video, I may opt to buy the dvd.

19. Yuifai Cheung

Yuifai Cheung Auditioning

I have the best LD Player Pioneer HLD-XO in the world. I will not replace those LDs with predominately music contents such as classical/pop/jazz concerts, operas and musical movies because of their superior LPCM sound tracks. I will also retain all my criterion collection LDs regardless of whether I have bought replacement DVDs.
    I hope there might be available in the market shortly a reasonably priced external video processor (perhaps an improved HTPC Scalar) with performance comparable to that of a Faroudja processor 5000U to do justice to my some 300 LDs.

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Slowly, I've been Ebay-ing LDs off over the past couple of years as they get replaced with DVDs that have new transfers. I've gotten quite ruthless with my collection of late. Any film that is unlikely to be watched again gets sold.
    But obviously I keep the Indiana Jones movies, the original Star Wars THX CLV discs and some of the better DTS titles. But no longer can I justify having two copies of the same film. I'd rather put the money into another title or another hobby.