Laserdisc........new to the format

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Erwin, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I just purchase a new LD Player (Pioneer CLD-5000, I think). I was at a community sale that gets rid of items from the government facilities. The LD player was only $10 and I've always wanted one out of curiosity. They actually had about 10 LD players there, but mine was the only one that was a more recent model. I think most of them were Pioneer. This player was manufactured in September 2000, so, I guess this is one of the last ones. I went and purchased some LDs at a used store for $5 ea (Clear and Present Danger, Curly Sue (don't laugh [​IMG] ) The player seems to do OK. I turned it on and I was like, "what the heck is that noise". I forgot that my wife placed a glass figure on top of the player which was causing the noise from the vibration. I did notice that it makes some noise when switching tracks, stoping, and changing sides (I gues this is normal). It's pretty quiet while playing though. I do like those LARGE cases with artwork. Do these discs handle abuse better than DVDs? I looked at Curly Sue and this disc looked really bad, but it played fine. The picture seems OK (better than VHS), but it seems to bleed (reds) more than DVD. After reading some posts, I may try the composite connection rather than the S-Video. Is there a list of LDs that have not made it to DVD out there?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

For such a list, search back a week or so in "Software: Film & Documentary".
    There will be some noise, from the motor and the pickup; if it suddenly gets louder, that can be a sign of somehing going wrong internally.
    In general, since LDs use a fairly forgiving analog signal and rugged physical architecture, they will tolerate a good deal of surface marring and so forth before they begin to show obvious visible/audible symptoms. One exception is circumferential scratches, which can interfere with tracking in an extraordinary way [although they can also make no difference whatsoever].
    Composite colour encoding means that colours may be a little less stable than from DVD, but problems with red bleed seem to be specific to a particular disc: mastering is critical, as with any other medium.

3. John S

John S Producer

Real title specific on PQ.....

Many of the under $5 titles are priced as such because of the poorer quality PQ....

95% of my laserdiscs look great though.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

$5 for most titles is too much - you easily find groups of titles on Ebay that go for an average of $1-2 per and often less. Go for Media Mail shipping or you'll pay more for shipping than the discs themselves (them discs is heavy).

Laser disc players are noisy. My Pioneer LD-S2 is the quietest player (and one of the heaviest at 70 lbs.) ever made but it's still noisier than every dvd player I've encountered. The noise you hear when switching tracks is the player speeding up or down. Why it speeds up and down requires a longer explanation than I've got time for right now.

Awfully late go get into the laser disc game. Despite the number of dvds released, there are still lots of titles on LD that haven't made it to dvd, and some probably never will. I'm not aware of any comprehensive list. Many of these titles will be very hard to find and some can command a high price. Ebay is the best place to look; nearly all retailers have dumped their LD inventory.

I've got a very large collection I want to get rid of but haven't put them into list form yet. If you (or anyone) is looking for a specific title, drop me a line (shameless advertising).

5. joseph_harmon

joseph_harmon Auditioning

yeah you can find them on ebay for $1-2 each but how much is shipping $12? I rather buy them locally.

6. alan halvorson

MEDIA MAIL! Everyone wants to ship Priority, but I think that's crazy. Media Mail is a lot cheaper. If the seller doesn't specify Media Mail as an option, ask before the auction ends if he will use this method.

7. John S

John S Producer

8. John S

John S Producer

I'd still call $5 a title an average price for them.

Under $5 still tends to be mostly the lower quality LD's.

The cheaper prices are on larger lots, not single title purchases. I use ebay a lot still for them.

I like the service a place called Big Emma's gives me, but even there $10 is my limit for a title. Big Emma's from time to time clears them out at $.05 each with additional purchase. I've got some great scores on those deals.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Another thing worth looking for on LD is music titles. What was popular from 1980-1995 frequently isn't being considered pop-lar enough to get on DVD now or rights issues prevent it. I stille love Academy Ratio, 1.33-37 to 1 stuff on LD. There's alot of 30's and 40's films on LD that haven't been on DVD or haven't been on quality DVD's. I picked up an old Cagney film on those cheap label DVD and it looked worse than an LD I already had...I think it was Blood On The Sun...? Yeah! Skinny aspect ratios work real well on LD.

I've bought one new LD this year, Wild Wild Planet. It totally eclipses Plan Nine From Outer Space's pathetic-ness! It should'a got an Oscar for "best use of little plastic cars and helicopters" in a B-film...well, a C-film, NOT! [​IMG] I'll proably never stop buying LD's completely...? There's a few music LD's I'm looking for....

Welcum tuu alternative2vhs part one, Laserdisc! [​IMG]

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

An understatement, particularly for classical and jazz fans.

11. alan halvorson

John: If you're willing to pay $5 per title, have I got a lot of titles for you at that price. Heck, if you buy enough of them, I'll even include free shipping by Media Mail, of course.

12. John S

John S Producer

alan, I shot you a PM....

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Heck I've got a big pile to unload, also!

14. John S

John S Producer

Well, I'm still buying, but be forwarned, I have a lot of them. Only really looking for specific titles now for sure.

Generally if it is out on DVD I'll pass, aside from a few that had bad DVD releases.

15. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

16. John S

John S Producer

I have a couple of Japanese Anime titles, but I like the ones I have for the most part....

One of them is sort of funny.

It is Japanese with Chinese sub-titles. Not really watchable unless you know one or the other. It was $.05 US, so I just threw it in with an order a few years ago.

I keep it as a funny sort of thing.

17. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Probably a Hong-Kong release -- most of them have an English and/or Cantonese dub option hidden away in the audio channel map somewhere, though be forewarned! an English dub by Hong-Kong actors may leave you scratching your head.