Laserdisc connection question?...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by todd s, Feb 6, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have had my LD player hooked up with regular video cable through my vhs to my tv. And the picture quality is good, but not great. I am getting a s-video cable to run it directly into the tv. Will I see a big difference in video quality?

Thanks!

2. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

You may be able to, and it's not necessarily going to be better. The separation of luminance and chrominance is done by the comb filter. If you use composite connection, then the comb filter in your TV will be used. If you use s-video cable, then the comb filter from your LD player will do the work. You'll want to use the superior comb filter, whether it's your TV's or the LD players.

3. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    In any event I would eliminate the VCR has an intermediary connection. Then test between the two cables. My experience has always found that s-video was indeed better. Lee is correct though, depends on what has the better comb filter.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Sort of a fundamental issue that was talked-around in the above two posts is the fact that Laserdisc is a composite recording media, so that, as Jongyoon pointed out, somewhere, there will be a comb-filter working on the signal. In my case, it's the laserdisc player (Sony MDP-455,) but elsewhere?

Eliminating the VCR from the path is almost always a good idea.

Leo

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks for the info. I have a Sony mdp-333. Its only connections are a video connection, A S-video connection and an Optical connection. But, since I am hooking it up to my Infocus 4805. My only choice is the S-video.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Well, I wouldn't expect too much from the MDP anyway. You'll be lucky if the disc table doesn't jam and the laser doesn't take a header into your disc — Sony industrial and HiVision machines are supposed to be great, but their US consumer LD players seem to be total crud.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Chris, I have had it for years. It works fine still. Although, around 8 years ago I had to send it to Sony for repair. But, it played as of yesterday.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why? Doesn't the Infocus 4805 have a video composite input? That LD player (from what I understand, one of the best units Sony ever made, despite the low price and feature set) will yield a dramatically better picture through standard composite video. I'm sure that it has a horrible comb filter for the S-Video, probably similar to that in my Pioneer CLD-M401. LDs look good through composite on my X1.