What's new

Laserdisc basics ... any pointers? (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Rob M,

I would try connecting your laserdisc player to your TV via a quality Composite cable. When you connect the LD and TV via an s-video cable, you are using the comb filter in the LD player. When you connect them using a composite cable, you use the comb filter in the TV. Only the higher end LD players have comb filters that are much good. It is very likely that the comb filter in your TV is much better than the one in your CLD- 504. You will almost certainly get a better image using the composite connection. I found this to be the case with my Elite 52. I recommend giving it a try.

Greg

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all you fellow laserphiles. I currently have the Pioneer 504 and 406. Both are great, but I crave more performance. I want an Elite or 704 but the price is never right. Anyone have opinions on the DVD combos, most especially the Elite flavor? Thanks a bunch.

BTW: Star Wars will live forever on Laserdisc. Who cares about a DVD? I just wish EPII and EPIII would make their way onto Laserdisc.

AJ Garman

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Wow, that got esoteric fast! Comb filters ... yow! :)
Okay, to review, if I understand what all has been said, it seems that playing both sides of the disk should be my preference, composite video out is nothing to be ashamed of, and digital audio out is nothing to worry about.
Cool.
I started thinking about all of this last week as it came to seem that some of my favorites may never be released on DVD (Hopscotch and Silver Streak primarily) and it's going to be years at the soonest before anything remotely like the original Star Wars trilogy is available and even then what I get may only be remotely like the movies I grew up with. So at best, I'd be looking at buying a laserdisc player for 5 movies, maybe 10 tops if I run across something later I can't live without.
I'm still thinking all this over, but thanks to everyone for the input!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I would try connecting your laserdisc player to your TV via a quality Composite cable. When you connect the LD and TV via an s-video cable, you are using the comb filter in the LD player. When you connect them using a composite cable, you use the comb filter in the TV. Only the higher end LD players have comb filters that are much good. It is very likely that the comb filter in your TV is much better than the one in your CLD- 504. You will almost certainly get a better image using the composite connection. I found this to be the case with my Elite 52. I recommend giving it a try.
I wouldn't be so certain about it. It depends on the TV. My TV has a lousy comb filter and I prefer to let my laserdisc player (I think it's a 604) convert to S-Video. I recommend trying it both ways and choose the one that looks best.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be so certain about it. It depends on the TV. My TV has a lousy comb filter and I prefer to let my laserdisc player (I think it's a 604) convert to S-Video. I recommend trying it both ways and choose the one that looks best.
Agreed. I think a lot of people here assume that most people have an HDTV or a fairly high-end interlaced set, which typically have 3D or 3-line comb filters. This is not the case for many people, and a lot of laserdisc models do have better comb filters than the average modern set.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yup. In my bedroom I've got a cheap Sony 27" TV. The S-Video from my CLD-D704 looks significantly better than the composite using the TV's comb filter.

JamesTR

Auditioning
To Jay S.

I can't quite agree with you that good lasers are equal to LBX DVDs, but I suppose it would depend on the display device used, as well as the LD player. I've got an old Pioneer CLD-D504. Anybody have opinions on this model? I would appreciate them, since I, too, am preparing to put some LD titles on DVD-R.

I do have a Japanese import of Phantom Menace that is very nearly equal to LBX DVD in picture quality, but it is by far the best laser I've ever seen.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
James, the 504 has Pioneer's "standard" video quality for 1995, basically. Your DVD's would come out better if you had a 704 or 99 to feed the recorder. They cut video noise quite a bit better. If you got your hands on a 99 you could get spoil't real quick.
I wouldn't aggree that STIR WARZ PM is one of the best looking LD's. Best sounding... yes! It' certainly an above average looking LD. With my hi-end LD players SWPM looks nearly identical to the DVD, but really, in my mind, this speaks badly of the DVD. Most of the LD's which I think compete very well with DVD's are 1.33, 1.66, or 1.85 to 1 aspect ratios. Also mandatory for the LD's to compete is a great LD player IMO.
I think the CAV, AC-3 TOY STORY boxset is one of the geatest looking LD's, AUSTIN POWERS DTS is awesome looking.... Old B & W films look really good on LD. Take away DVD's colour advantage and the field really evens up especially if the film is Academy ratio. STAR TREK NG looks great on LD... Best wishes from Laserland!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I can't quite agree with you that good lasers are equal to LBX DVDs, but I suppose it would depend on the display device used, as well as the LD player
Well, surprised Rachael hasn't mentioned the high-end Japanese laserdisc players.

Bottom line is no laserdisc player in the U.S. ever came close to showing the potential laserdisc had (this includes the Elite models and the Runco/Faroudja players which were a joke). Granted Hi-Vision (analog HD) laserdisc players were never sold here, the technology used (red-laser diodes in Hi-Vision vs. infra-red diodes for NTSC players; top quality Y/C conversion and comb filters) was completely applicable to NTSC laserdiscs.

Pioneer should have released the LD-S9 and the HLD-X9 as true Elite players.

I'm not going to go into to much detail considering these players are far beyond what most would spend on an LD unit, the picture for a good LD compared to a non-16x9 DVD (that also hasn't been restored) is negligible at best.

I've taken stuff like Ransom and Nightmare Before Christmas on LD and compared to DVD, and can't tell the difference. On my old CLD-704 compared to DVD I could definitely tell a big disparity in picture quality. This is on everything from a 27" set to 120" front projection system (both CRT and digital displays).

So, can LD look as good as DVD (again, against non-16:9 enhanced discs)? Absolutely. Problem is many LD transfers are questionable, and laser rot doesn't help.

But I've seen discs that I thought were so-so on any LD player suddenly shine when run through one of these high end units.

Rachael, pipe in, you've done more watching than I have.

-Brian

David Head

Second Unit
I'm also looking for an entry level LD player to play the Star Wars and Indiana Jones discs I bought. I don't need AC3 or DTS, but would like dual-side play. What about a Pioneer CLD-503? How does it compare with the 504?

David

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
So, can LD look as good as DVD (again, against non-16:9 enhanced discs)? Absolutely
Your right Brian Wiklem, LD can look EXTREMLY good with those players as I'm soon an proud owner of a LD-S9 and already an owner of a HLD-X9. But I DO REALLY think LD can get a little better, that's why I will get a HLD-X0 in the late summer!

I tested the STPM with my HLD-X9, the japanese LD and the R1 DVD on a 16x9 Loewe Aconda 9381 ZW and both me and my 2 friends was STUNNED how close the LD's letterbox picture was in resolution against the 16x9 dvd! And we also liked the colors better on the LD, they was better saturated.

The red's with the X9 was soooo good. And don't even think about comparing the covers against each other, the LD with great gatefold cover over the mass-industry-look of the dvd cover.

It's really too bad they didn't still had a little LD market left with hi-quality 16x9 releases, well maybe even MUSE releases. No one knows how good MUSE LD could have been if it had a chance to develop fully.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
David, the 503 is the predecessor model of the 504. The 503 is a 1994 model. It's nearly identical to the 504 except it has no AC-3 output. It does have an optical output that the 504 lacks. I think the 503 lacks the handy last memory function too. I like the Elite CLD-59 that has the same video quality as both of these units and a better build and AC-3 & Coaxial dig outputs. It doubles as a very good CD player too.
You might consider CLD's 406, 505, 606, 604, and 53. I don't want to recommend any really, really old models to you. These are all '94 to '97 models.
Brian, I don't want to discus advanced LD suff here. Isn't it LD basics.... Best wishes cats!

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
The Pioneer 503 is basically the same as the 504 EXCEPT the 503 doesn't do dolby digital. The 504 will.

Jeff

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Brian Wiklem, Nice!:D Please e-mail at home what you think about it and where you did get it and how much.
I will not have mine until the end of the summer :frowning:
Mattias: [email protected]

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'll let you know when it arrives. I'm getting it primarily for MUSE Hi-Vision discs. Don't do to much NTSC watching these days, but will check it out and compare to the Sony HIL-C2EX I have

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks