laserdisc AC3 and receievers..will they decode it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Aug 2, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

I am about to buy a laserdisc player, hopefully a pioneer cld 925d. I am also wanting to buy a denon 3801 or 3802 receiver. The laserdisc player specs state that it has optical outs. Will the denons decode and play AC3 digital? And will the optical outs work on the Denons?
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The LD puts out an RF signal that needs to be decoded by an RF demodulator (I think that's what it's called), so if the Denon has that built in, you are fine. If not, than no.
    My Pioneer receiver does not have it built in, so I purchased a Sony SDP-E800, which decodes the RF signal. It also has Optical and Coax inputs, so you can hook the Optical output from your LD player to the E800 and pass through DTS and Digital Pro-Logic. Otherwise, you would end up having to use to inputs on your Denon.
    There are other products out there that do what the Sony does, but most will not pass through the Optical. The smallest, most sought after product is made by Yamaha (or Kenwood, I do not remember really) and has long been gone and commands big bucks on eBay.
    I believe the Sony SDP-EP9ES also does what you need and there is one on eBay HERE
    A Sony E800 is HERE
    Here is the Yamaha! DDP-1.
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 02, 2001 at 11:12 AM]

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Kenwood has a cheap one that supposedly works well, but you're just better off getting a receiver that supports it specifically.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

The Sony TAE 9000Preamp has one built in.
    They are a good buy when you use the 2.01 version software