What's new

Laser TV unveiled (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've seen a similar "fluff" piece somewhere else - perhaps even the same. The big problem with it is it falls under the catagory of "if something sounds 'too good to be true,' it probably is."

Leo

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
Novalux does have a display at CES according to thier home page so maybe we will hear something about it there.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Cool; we were talking on here about the laser tv a few months back. I hope CES gives us some updated info.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hope to hear some news about laser tv's between CES in January and summer time. If its true that they will out perform plasma, lcd and dlp's then I will be all over it. I was going to purchase a Sony SXRD 1080p HDTV but I think I will put it off untill the new laser hdtv's hit the market. Besides I have some other upgrades to my HT to do before I got to the SXRD upgrade anyway. :laugh:

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
The problem they are wrestling with when using lasers is the granular appearance of the spot. Grab any laser pointer and you'll see what I'm referring to.

As far as their claim of greater color space, this is available now with DLP, LED backlit LCD panels, and some LCD/LCoS/SXRD displays. The problem with expanded color space is, there is no programming that is mastered this way. Our entire video industry is governed by standards and recommended practices. Exceeding ITY-R BT709 color space for HD must be done at the program production end of the system. To change industry standards must be agreed upon by the entire broadcast and program production industry. That will take a lot of effort and time to realize. Until then, exceeding the color space used in post-production will simply be distortion.

Film color space is greater than video can reproduce, under the current standards. I expect the first use for new standards and expanded color space will be in digital cinema, medical, industrial, graphics, technical and military applications. These are all closed systems. Consumer video and broadcast production are mass communication systems. They will take longer to alter.

Some consumers like distorted color. Others like aggressive edge enhancement. Still others prefer a different color temperature than 6500K. These are all forms of image distortion. Image fidelity is subsequently compromised. Program producers use a color pallette that is specifically defined. Cinematographers, videographers, telecine colorists, etc., all use the same, standard color pallette, as defined by the NTSC, ATSC, SMPTE, ITU, ISO, IEEE, ANSI, etc. If you deviate from the standards, you will not realize the same program as the artists intended their audience to experience. Do you go to the commercial cinema wearing blue tinted glasses?

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I just saw a Mitsubishi LaserVue TV that was on display at Paul's TV in Irvine. If I recall their ad, all the Paul's in So Cal have them on display now.

Unfortunately the only demo material I saw was a rather unimpressive looking HD signal that was being split to most of their televisions. Nothing from a BD disc.

I don't think the display was calibrated properly. Blacks weren't great and areas of dark detail appeared much lighter then either the Panasonic plazma or Sharp LCD that were on either side of it.

I will say the colors looked very punchy without appearing fake or overly saturated. The sales person said it was about 11 inches in depth and it was wall mounted.

It is 65" (the only size they currently make I believe) and was priced at $6999. It has potential. Hopefully at some point I can see a demo with a good calibration and a Blu-Ray movie but so far, I am not impressed.

Based on this limited first viewing, I would say this TV has to get a lot better with calibration or the price needs to drop a lot (maybe both).

For reference, I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro Elite (last years model).

-Keith

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hope the prices come down and Mitsubishi can make improvements if in fact the laserview is not putting out a great picture. I will not be in the market for a new 1080p HDTV until 2010 so there still could be a Laserview TV in my future? I love the idea of being able to watch the hell out of my HDTV and not have to change the bulb! Who knows maybe by that time I will end up buying a 100" Stewart Film Screen and a 1080p projector and go that route?

I would love to watch Lord Of The Rings off a Blu-ray on a 100" screen! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks