Laser Rot & DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Shane Harg, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I just got a shipment of four region 1 DVDs from the U.S. and one of them (We Were Soldiers) became detached from the spindle (as sometimes happens in shipping) and was loose inside the jewel case. I opened the case and inspected the disc. There were a few scuffs, but nothing major. However, I did see one thing that concerned me. I noticed two places along the outside edge of the disc, where it looked like air had gotten in between the the outer layers of the disc. I put the disc in my player to skim through the chapters and it seemed to play fine for now, but what about down the road? Are the data layers of a DVD susceptible to oxidation like Laser Discs?[​IMG]

I don't know if this a manufactural defect or something that happened as a result of the disc banging around inside the case during shipping. The problem is, that to send this disc back to the U.S. for a replacement would cost me more than it did to buy.[​IMG]

2. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Nobody knows anything about this, huh?

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Thanks Michael.

From what I read on those threads you referred me to, the forecast doesn't look good.[​IMG] Well, if my disc goes bad, I guess it won't hurt too much to just buy it again.

4. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand

The sad part is when a disc you love goes bad and it's rare and/or out-of-print.[​IMG]

Then again, some disc's look like they have a rot spot from the beginning and never go bad, at least not yet.[​IMG]

Hope yours is one of those. [​IMG]

Paul

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Yes, me too. Thanks.