What's new

laser disc version of Mad World on TCM (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you've heard the debate between the versions of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (the dvd version 2 hours 41 minutes) vs. the laser disc (3 hours 8 minutes), I think you have a chance to decide for yourself.

Turner Classic Movies has It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World showing on Monday at 7:00 PM. It's listed as 182 minutes, which is 3 hours 2 minutes. I'm guessing this is the ld version, and wanted to give anyone with an interest, who doesn't own the ld, a heads up.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I believe this has been shown before. I remember how awful it is because it is cropped as a 1.85:1 OAR. It is not the complete 2.20:1 format. It did contain some rectifed "Cinerama" scene extensions as was on the Laserdisc. They're noticeable by the distortion and color shift.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I don't know which might be the long one, but I know that TCM has shown both ~2.35:1 and ~1.85:1 versions in the past.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, It's A Mad Mad Mad World is 2.55:1 on the "reconstructed" VHS and TCM. TCM usually tries to show the most complete version of a film.

The DVD is the same in terms of aspect ratio.

As Robert Harris mentioned in the excellent article by Ron Epstein, the film should be seen in either 2.55:1 "flat" or 2.76:1 smile-boxed (electronically curved to simulate a Cinerama screen).

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The last time It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was shown on TCM, it was shown in it's original OAR (I don't know which version it was). Other times before that, it was cropped to 1.85:1.
I'm sure the version shown on Monday will be in it's original OAR of 2.55:1.
Turner Classic Movies has It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World showing on Monday at 7:00 PM.
That's EST. :) It will be on at 6:00 pm CST/5:00 pm MST/4:00pm PST/etc. :D

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure? I got that time (7:00 PM) off a list I printed out off their web site and requested all times Central. I'm pretty sure it's 7:00 central, 8:00 eastern.
I thought I saw the film listed for 4:00pm on Monday here (Pacific time) via TIVO. I might be wrong, and I wouldn't be suprised if I am. :) I'll check once I get control of the TIVO in a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks