What's new

Laser disc quality (and a technical discussion of NTSC video resolution) (2 Viewers)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
And not all DVD'S are recorded in progressive video, either. Otherwise, we wouldn't need 3-2 pulldown.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
It can be good, but image quality is highly dependent on both the player quality and how well the disc was mastered. Some laserdiscs in my collection, like Candyman 2, are of such poor quality they can be bested by VHS. Others are fairly sharp, almost approaching non-anamorphic DVD at times.
RD

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There's a bit of confusion here.
The "480" in 480i and 480p refers to visible scan lines. It's the same number for all NTSC sources. DVD is 480. Laserdisc is 480. Even VHS is 480.
When you're trying to compare quality of image, you're talking about "lines of horizontal resolution" (a/k/a TVL). DVD has app. 500; LD has about 425; broadcast has about 330; VHS has about 230. But ALL of these sources display 480 scan lines.
This is all covered in the DVD FAQ.
M.

Morgan Holly

Agent
It's the same number for all NTSC sources
Actually it's 525 when they become NTSC. Most sources that make DVD titles (D1, DigiBeta, and D5) have 486 lines of active picture, not 480. MPEG-2 throws six lines away to make macroblock rounding easier ;)
Some formats like VCD and SIF res MPEG 2 (DVD compliant) store far less than 480 lines, generally half at 240-288 lines. They eventually get blown up to RS-170 standards when they get displayed on analog television sets.
Just read your link to the FAQ... I love JT, but he's got to go through that FAQ and change some stuff. No consumer set has 480-483 "visible" lines of resolution. Overscan makes sure of that. DVD has 480 lines of active resolution in the MPEG stream, but they are not visible on your sets. I also question his arrival at the 540 H-res for DVD. Anyone care to explain that math? Doesn't pan out for me. Also he does not address signal to noise ratio or chroma vs. luma resolution when comparing formats. Etc. etc. done...

Bill Maeder

Auditioning
Though the visual is better on the DVD, I have found that the audio quality is better on the laser disc.

I am talking about tonal quality of the audio not the surround encoding.

That said, DVD is the way to go!
Bill

greg_t

Screenwriter
The beautiful thing about laserdisc is that there are thousands of titles that are not, and may never, be released on dvd. Many titles go very cheap on ebay. So while the video quality is better with anamaphoric dvd, with laserdisc I can watch the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies in their original aspect ratio whenever I want. So if your just getting into home theater, DVD is the way to start, but a laserdisc player is a welcome addition to any movie lovers component rack.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Hear, hear, Greg.
I love my Star Wars Original Trilogy Definitive Collection set (although I'm looking for a "Faces" set, for casual viewing (fewer flips :) )

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
So while the video quality is better with anamaphoric dvd, with laserdisc I can watch the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies in their original aspect ratio whenever I want.
And in their original unaltered versions too! God forbid what Indiana Jones will look like once the mangled version is released on DVD...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Or... it can be. You need a decent player and a well-produced disc. Quality greatly varies. I have some movies, like STAR WARS (THX) and THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY that look great. Then there's BUGSY MALONE. Sigh.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Hi Morgan!
I also question his arrival at the 540 H-res for DVD. Anyone care to explain that math? Doesn't pan out for me.
As you command. Just apply the common 'circle rule'. The horizontal resolution (TVL) is defined as the amount of horizontal pixels/samples with the width of the biggest 'circle' (not elipsoid) that you can fit within the frame at its intended aspect ratio.
Thus if you have a DVD encoded for 4:3 aspect ratio, you take the 720 horizontal pixels encoded on the DVD and devide it by (4:3).
720 / (4 / 3) = 540.
Thus 540 horizontal pixels in the biggest 1:1 square (or circle) that fits in the frame.
In the case of an anamorphic 16:9 DVD, its:
720 / (16 / 9) = 405.
The unintuive odd fact that the 16:9 number is lower demonstrates nicely, that TVL is kinda awkward and confusing and shouldn't really be used anymore in our digial age. Just define the resolution and aspect ratio of the frame and be done with it.
And leave out timing, not to confuse the matter even more ;)
Regards
Bjoern

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys I am looking for a laserdisc player for certain movies not on dvd. (ie Good burger, SW Trilogy and IJ Trilogy among other Criterion collections like Taxi Driver), I would like to buy one on ebay , and most people say if you have a "decent" player the video quality won't be bad, if you can help me what are some "decent" players at good prices I can get on ebay. I agree that dvd is the way to go but so are other formats, because I don't collects dvd I collect films I enjoy which spread over on different formats. Will laserdisc look good on a 50" widescreen, I have the GWII along with a paanny rp-91 and the PQ is amazing, and cable isn't that bad, so if laserdisc can match or best cable Pq I will be getting one soon.

Is Monster Squad on LD?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
if you can help me what are some "decent" players at good prices I can get on ebay
You'll probably get more answers if you ask this in one of the hardware forums, notably Audio/Video Sources. But before you ask, do a search; there are many existing threads discussing the pros and cons of various LD players.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks