Laser Disc Player Hookup FAQ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Finally took the plunge and have an LD Player and Star Wars on the way...just need to know how to hook it up to get best results. The one coming is a Pioneer CLD-505...

thx for the info...

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I see you guys are jumping at the chance to answer my question...[​IMG]
    Anyway, I did find an old faq on this board, after searching for a while...so it's all good, but I do have one question...
    For audio hookups...so I need to connect both the analog L/R channels and the Digital Optical?

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The digital output should be for digital sound that is not Dolby Digital 5.1 such as DTS (into a DTS decoder) or sound that is recorded in digital which many LDs are but some of the old ones may not be and you will need to use the analog jacks.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...as I may have mentioned before, for the time being I will only have Star Wars: The Definitive Collection...this has digital sound...therefore I'd only need the toslink connected for the time being, correct?

I understand the whole RF/Dolby Digital thing...I'm more concerned with SW: Definitive Collection.

5. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Yes, hook up both Analog and digital outputs. Some LD's use the Analog tracks for commentary tracks, etc. Some older LD's don't have digital sound, and are analog only. Just remember, just because your LD player has a S-video out does not mean that the Svideo output is of higher quality then the regular composite video out. VIdeo quality on the Svideo portion dpends on the quality of the comb filter used in th LD player. Sometimes, it can be a cheap notch filter. It's not until you hit the high end LD player do you get the ones with adaptive 3d-y/c digital comb filters. My RCA and my Pioneer both use a cheaper analog comb filter, and I get much better results out of the comb filter in the TV. I go so far as having both Svideo and composite hooked up to my TV. Sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like cycling through the inputs on my TV to get to the composite input (my LD is the only thing hooked up composite).

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...that makes sense. Can you just cycle though the different audio tracks via a button on the remote then?

8. Michael Reuben

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...definitely sounds clumsy.

I think I understand what you are saying though. Will the LD specify which track is located where. For example...will the Star Wars Definitive Collection specify where the PCM track is located? ...or do I just cylce though until I find what I believe to be the correct track?

10. Michael Reuben

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...In hindsight, that is a stupid question [​IMG]
    Thanks so much for all the help!

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Does the 505 even have a digital output? You'll want to hook up the digital audio and analog audio. For the audio commentaries, you'll have to switch your receiver to analog input and switch the audio track on the LD player by hitting the "A/D" or "AUDIO" button on the remote. Believe it or not the way it switches tracks is at least as easy as DVD probably easier. No menus, the same four tracks are always available (though often one of them is muted as the AC-3 RF encoded analog channel). Have fun with the slo-mo and pause special effects on those definitive collection discs. Particularly the space battle at the end of Jedi which is awesome. The prologic sound on those discs is pretty fantastic also.

If you can find them I highly recommend buying the CLV THX movie only versions as well. They should be easy to find and cheap, and the fewer side/disc breaks make them easily worth it.

Enjoy!

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I got the Japanese remastered box (star wars is now called a new hope) and TPM.

They look and sound pretty incredible.

You can not turn off the japanese subtitles on the discs and they become annoying

Buy a big sheet of cardboard and cover them up. A great $2 solution.

I do hope they release the others in laserdisc to complete the set...but I doubt it

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Phillip...Yes, the 505 has optical out...of course I haven't actually looked at this unit myself, but I've read multiple places that optical out is a feature.