What's new

Laser Disc help for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,
I'm thinking of purchasing a laser disc and a large number of LD's to fill out my HT experience. As I know zip (or less) about LD's, I thought I'd look here for help. Here's what I need to know....
1. What models of LD players should I consider....I'd rather pay a reasonable amount for a decent player than an el-cheapo one. Are there any features that are indespensible on a good player?

2. What can I expect to pay for a player?

3. Where is the best place to find discs at a reasonable price (besides here)?

4. What type of results can I expect on my 8ft wide screen (LCD projector)...as in better or worse than satellite / dvd / vhs?

5. Oh yeah...one more thing...what is "CAV"?

Thanks so much for your help.
Greg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
5. Oh yeah...one more thing...what is "CAV"?
Constant Angular Velocity? Not sure of the exact term, but CAV in LD is of the same idea as SP speed in VHS. Higher quality video, resulting in shorter running time per side of disc (about 30 minutes). Also allows additional features such as still-frame and frame-by-frame advance.

CLV (Constant Linear Velocity?) is more like LP speed in VHS. Some compromises, but higher capacity per side of disc (about 60 minutes).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, if you have an 8' screen you'd better get a really nice player. You can't afford to lose performance. If you have to have S-video output you'll need to spend the most for players like :

HLD-X9
LD-S9
Runco LJ-RI or II
CLD-99
CLD-97
Mac 7020 (97 clone)

If composite output will do,

CLD-97 again
CLD-95
Panasonic LX-900
DVL-91
CLD-79
LD-S2

Go to the archieves forum and find Vince's home theater basics thread. My LD primer is on the bottom of page 2. Then repost your new questions to the video sources forum.

Malcolm, I doubt many people can tell CAV and CLV apart unless they get to watch the player and see whether there is a running frame count which CAV has instead of time. I don't think I can discern a difference. The tape analogy absolutely does not apply. Best wishes from Laserland!

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
You also might want to look at either a Pioneer CLD704 or a Mitsubishi MV7057. Both exellent players that can be had for not a ton of money.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
At Scooterfest last year we watched the opening of "Lion King" on his gigantic outdoor screen from his LCD projetor and DVL-919. It looked incredible, better than my '99 on my projector at home. I was amazed.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Philip,
I haven't really got a great HT setup, but I've got a DVL-919 and it makes me happy every time someone has something nice to say about it. :D

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I can't say anything bad about my DVL-700. I've only had to have one firmware upgrade and have had difficulty with just 3 films:
7 Faces of Dr. Lao-MGM(before firmware upgrade); Emperor's New Groove CE(I think this was the disc, not my player); The Vikings-MGM... :D

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Both my DVL-919 and my DVL-700 are still running strong. 700 is a little picky with a couple of my dvds though but it still work well when my daughter is sick of watching what my wife and I are watching. Great players.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks