What's new

Laser Disc: any way to minimize rot? (1 Viewer)

JoeU

Grip
Recently I purchased a LD player off of Ebay and have picked up a few discs. I've read in the past about laser rot and was wondering if there is any way to prevent or at least minimize it. Can factors like storage conditions influence the likelihood of rot, or is it something that if it's going to happen it will happen regardless?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Not really. Rot is caused by production defects in the material. If you store them properly in a climate controlled room, stored vertically using good quality inner sleeves, there's not much else you can do. Not all discs experience rot. Many of the old MCA discovision discs will rot and many from one of the Columbia TriStar production plants in the US were prone to rot. I think it was a plant in Indiana if I'm not mistaken, but I can't remember for sure. I've got probably 60 lasers, and only two show any signs of rot. One of them is an older MCA discovision laser (Doctor Detroit) and the other is from columbia tri star's bad plant (Fifth Element). Other than that, all are good.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I have hundreds of laserdiscs. A small percentage have rotted. Since most of mine are 7-12 years old, they have either rotted by now or are not going to. The good ones you have probably won't rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks