Las Vegas: music replacement?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Todd Stout, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Hello all,
    I just picked up the Las Vegas season 1 DVD box set and noticed that there is a disclaimer on the back that says something about "music may not be the same as what was broadcast." That's not exactly what it says but that's basically what they are saying. Does anyone have any idea what has been replaced? I missed about half of the first season so I may never know what I'm missing (maybe that's a good thing).

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Hopefully, it's not the opening song.

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I just found the review over at TVshowsonDVD and there is no mention of the title song being replaced. It sounds as though music may or may not have been replaced and that what is on the Las Vegas set is just a standard disclaimer. I guess we'll see. It sounds like a decent set in any case.

4. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Yep -- it's the opening theme song on every episode but the pilot. Don't ask me how or why it can be on there for the pilot but not the other episodes.

Also, the title sequence is inexplicably from the second season.

While the phrase is now one of the most overused and hackneyed in the English language, I think it's fair to say that Universal sucks after the Apprentice and this. Two best theme songs on TV changed.

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Damn. [​IMG]
    well I might rent it but I won't buy it now.

6. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I actually watched the first season of this show and I haven't followed a current series since Seinfeld. That's pretty pathetic when the title song can't be on there. Universal again. Big surprise. Christopher and Todd, thanks for saving me the money.

By the way, Christopher, what did they use for a replacement Vegas theme? You should add this piece of news to the Archive of Incomplete TV on DVD thread at the top of the page.

7. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

Read the review for this title on DVDTalk.com. It's pretty in depth. They say the replacement title song is what is used on the international version of the show.

8. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Thanks, Hank. I'll check it out.

9. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I finally got home from work and school this evening and popped in side B of disc 1 (I thought it was side A... oops). I didn't notice the title sequence at all on the episode Luck be a Lady (maybe I missed it skipping around) so I tried side A of Disc 3. I watched the beginning of You Can't Take it With You and found the new opening theme music. It's quite odd because of how slow it is compared to the Elvis song that we are all used to hearing. I'll have say I'm going to miss it at the beginning of each episode. On a positive note, the show sure does look and sound fantastic compared to watching it on standard definition cable TV.

Discovering the music changes to Las Vegas is starting to get me really worried about the forthcoming release of one of my all time favorite shows... Miami Vice. I certainly hope all of the original music is intact for that one.

10. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    DVD Talk also says that the opening credits are from Season 2. (sorry, not music related)

11. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I just finished the DVD Talk review. The reviewer was disappointed in it. He mentioned the replaced theme song, season 2 opening credit sequences, the picture quality, and the use of 'flippers'. I'm skipping it over the music issues only but why can't they use the right credit sequences?

12. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

These music changes are really getting old! They put it on the 1st episode and not the rest?!?! Then they go and use Season 2's opening credit sequence? Wow. I would so be willing to pay more for shows that I enjoy if that would give us original music. At least this appears to be only the credits and there are no reports of major changes to the show, but still. Quantum Leap, Dawson's Creek and now Las Vegas. All shows I enjoy and they make asinine music replacements. This is a horrible trend that really needs to stop.

13. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I'm kicking myself for opening this. I should've waited for more reviews to trickle in.

It would make more sense if the theme wasn't on the pilot episode. Unbelievable.

I ususally don't get too bent out of shape over some music changes, but I've always felt the theme song kinda sets a tone for the show. I know that sounds kinda dumb (Ed wasn't the same for me when they replaced the Foo Fighters song in season two, Dawson's Creek seems off to me with the different theme)... I get past it, but the opening credit sequence to that song is one of the cooler parts of the show.

Yes, we can all now skip past the credits thanks to the chapter stop after them (now we know why Universal finally did that). I probably wouldn't have, otherwise.

14. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Hmph. I haven't opened it yet, and have to say I'm disappointed that they'd leave the theme song for the first episode, then switch it for the others. I do tend to skip the credit sequence when watching shows on dvd though, especially if they chapter mark after the credits. I'll have to ponder this.

15. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

Having never seen this show except on the DVD release, I would never have picked up on the music change without someone telling me. It does not bother me that much. It is a fun show, the picture looks amazing to me, and the audio is fantastic. If everyone who complains on this site about music replacement stops buying TV on DVD sets because of this issue, they will have a lot of holes in their collections. I truly believe that you are in the minority and that it will not effect studio decision making at all.

As for the review on DVD Talk, the reviewer had only seen the show in HDTV. I want him to come and watch a few shows with my analog cable connection and tell me what he thinks of the video quality of Las Vegas after that. After watching the show with my cable connection, the quality of these DVDs look like HD to me.

16. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

The reviewer actually says that he saw most of the episodes in HD when they orignally aired, but he never said he had only seen the show in HDTV. In fact, when he compares the visual quality to broadcast, he uses the standard definition broadcasts for comparison purposes and his remarks regarding the color.

I really don't understand how this music stuff works. Are they actually licensing on a per episode basis? How in the world did the orignal music on the credit sequence end up intact on ONE episode? They made a separate deal on the pilot and had to renegotiate for the rest of the series? At least the origin...well, the original season 2 credit sequence is available on the DVD. That's at least something.

I honestly don't mind the international theme song. My only problem - and maybe this is just impossible to judge impartially since I'm used to seeing it with "A Little Less Conversation..." - but, it just seems like these opening titles are cut to the music we see on broadcast and they just feel "off" otherwise.

While Universal may have learned their lesson on some things (chapter stop after credits - we need it now for sure, anamorphic widescreen), they still have some learning to do. That Universal logo at the beginning of EVERY episode really isn't necessary and why are the menus 4x3? That's the first time I think I've ever seen that in an anamorphic release. Neither of those are big deals, but they are minor annoyances that I hope Universal keeps an eye on in future releases.

17. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

My guess (from experience) is that the music contract for the pilot is different than the one for the series.

The copyright owner probably extracted a reasonable fee for the pilot including DVD rights - and then waited to see if the series was picked up. Once the show made the schedule, there was a new contract negotiated whereupon the copyright holder asked for a steep fee increase for home video.

In this case I can see where having the original theme on at least one of the shows, if not the others, would make sense fiscally to the home video folks if the costs would have significantly raised the price on the release.

You can grumble all you want about the theme's copyright holder - but after reading about how DVD has enriched the studios to no end, you can't really blame the guy for wanting some of the gravy for his client too.

Music rights issues for both audio and video formats are a real quagmire - and are directly to be blamed for the sad current state of the music biz. It's a real turf war - just like the upcoming one for the HD DVD format. The consumer ends up a loser due to it.

18. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Stunt Coordinator

I actually kinda like the new song.
    the old one would have been good too.
    but changing it isn't that much of a bother for me.
    better than having to pay lots of money for the set or not having it at all.

19. Andreas_K

Andreas_K Stunt Coordinator

What's funny with THIS music replacement is that it especially says on the box and the Amazon listing that the show is "uncut and uncensored".
    Also, this is really a new show, I thought we didn't have to worry about changes with material as current as this at least.
    It's disturbing!

I might buy this set anyway because I don't know LV yet and it sounds like a fun show. But I still have about two weeks before it gets shipped so I might still change my mind if I hear of more replacements.

I'll be really careful with universal releases in the future. No more blind preorders for their products from me!

20. MeghanA

MeghanA Extra

I listened to the commentary on the pilot last night, and during the opening credits Gary Thompson mentions that the Elvis song was "horribly expensive" to get for that sequence just for the pilot. So I can kind of understand why it was replaced on the rest of the episodes on the DVD. I'm more annoyed that the whole opening credit sequence has been replaced with the season 2 sequence, I would have preferred the original season 1 sequence since this is the first time I've seen these episodes.

By the way, did anyone get an episode booklet with this? It seems odd to me that they would make the fancy little pocket just for the advertising brochure that was there.