What's new

Larry Sanders Show (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I've banged on about this before, and I'm going to do this again, after the botched release of the 1st series, is there any hope of the rest of this show coming to DVD? P;ease tell me I don't have to put up with all the video tapes I have as the way I have to remember Larry Sanders... I wish they'd do a complete series set for say, $200 - I'd pick it up in heartbeat.

I suppose I'll console myself with the inferior but enjoyable Curb and Frasier.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Sales were lousy. High MSRP didnt help. No word on future sets, but I wouldnt hold my breath ...

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I shelled out the $50 or whatever it was they were asking, but I find it hard to imagine that anyone unfamiliar or only passingly familiar with the show would have done the same. More recent TV DVD releases suggest that it might have been better priced around $25.

I hate that this will probably be orphaned, because at my house we would watch Larry Sanders every night if we had the complete series.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I was looking into the first season DVD a few weeks ago, but it looked like a pretty pisspoor release. Only, what, 13 episodes for $50? And I think an episode or two was left out. I would also be interested in getting the full series if priced at or under $200 as I'm tired of watching butchered episodes on TV at 2AM Sunday nights...

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I think that they only did 13 eps in the first season.

Anyway, it's very frustrating the way Larry Sanders was dealt with. Yup, it was too costly, yup it was poorly handled... I mean, whenit was screened here (in the UK) the HBO logo came up so I assumed that HBO owned it? Reagrdless, I wish Columbia or soemone would have another look at this.

I mean, Frasier Season 1 is going for as little as £15 in the UK. In theory, how much would it cost to put a season of Sanders on DVD I wonder?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^It really chaps my ass that I can't have the later season of Larry Sanders. It was so funny when Jon Stewart got on board.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I've re-iterated this point in other threads in the past: this is a show I simply was unable to see (for various reasons) during its initial run and therefore would be perfect for DVD (in my case). In fact, being a fan of comedy, this and the brilliant Curb Your Enthusiasm are the two shows I MOST want on DVD. (Curb, Season 1, of course, just came out).

Is there an effective way to "campaign" for the rest of Larry Sanders (everything beyond Season 1) on DVD?

Brian F

Agent
I would like to put in my vote for more Larry Sanders DVDs, for what it's worth. I love every second of the show, and would buy every one. It would be pretty cool if they just put out the entire series all at once. There were only 5 or 6 seasons, weren't there? I am not holding my breath, though!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I never watched this show when it was on the air, but the DVD release did interest me, but I couldn't justify spending that much on something I wasn't completely sure I'd like. I still consider ordering it from time to time, but its too bad that future seasons seem to be unlikely.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
someone brought this up on the freaks and geeks board (judd apatow was a writer for the show i believe) and judd responded by saying that there MIGHT be a "best of" dvd compiled of gary shandling's favorite episodes. i forget how many they said, but hey-it's something.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've long resigned myself to the fact that Season 1 will sit alone on my shelf.

That's a real shame because I never get tired of watching Rip Torn in this. Who else could growl one minute and do a complete suck-up another so convincingly?

Our local NBC affiliate shows Sanders on weekends after SNL. The edited versions just don't have the same punch.

I would not be crazy about a "Gary's favorite episodes" set.

Steve

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We'll probably get every season of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and its ilk, but an intelligent and satirical show like LARRY SANDERS probably wasn't watched by a large enough audience to make DVD sets of the remaining seasons viable. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
A 'Best of' wouldn't cut it for me either; besides, the show has long standing story threads that wouldn't serve a 'best of.'

I wonder if Sanders could be released the same awy My So Called Life was brought to us?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is one of several shows that Columbia released a season or two of and sold less-than-expected. For all of these, Columbia is thinking about different ways to bring the shows on DVD. Best-ofs is certainly the leading contender among the choices.

But I would consider season set releases for this particular one a dead issue, and probably for the others as well. No, I can't name names, and won't respond to guesses either way.

There is always an outside shot that the studio could license it to another company, or sell it "direct market" (like through Columbia House or Time-Life), or whatever. But I won't hold my breath on that.

I would guess that sometime in the future, when HD-DVD comes along with enough room to put an entire SERIES into one box set for a decent price, that's when this show and others that "didn't make it on DVD" will get another real shot at completeness.

That's my opinion on the subject, anyway.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
Let me start off by saying this show was a work of genius.

I believe the MSRP on this set has been reduced, but that doesn't mean all retailers (if any) marked it down - which probably gave it another strike against it. The studio can now say something like, "Well even after we reduced the price, it still didn't sell."

A Season 2 set should be released at a price comparable to other TV Season sets, to determine if there really is a demand. This way, fans of the show (and the studio) can be assured a level playing field in calculating the positive/negative sales results of a reasonably priced set.

I would buy all the remaining seasons of the Larry Sanders Show, but would definitely avoid any Best Of sets.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with JimmyT. In the current TV-shows-on-DVD market, Sanders would do good, wouldn't it?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I spoke to Columbia TriStar the other day about licensing some of their shows out to others and it's a company policy that they don't license anything out at all. Then I asked about Time Life/Columbia House - they get things because they are sister companies.

It's a shame that most of the large companies won't license material out to others. There are numerous shows we'll never see because they are too small for a big studio to release, and they won't license them out to an independant that would be happy with the smaller numbers.

Gord

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
...And another thing - I thought of another reason that Season 2 should be released (at reasonable pricepoint) to gauge consumer demand.

I think sales figures of the price reduced Season 1 set may be a false indication of consumer demand. Even if somebody came across a price reduced copy of Season 1, they may be hesitant to buy it knowing that as it stands right now, they may never be able to complete their Larry Sanders collection. They may not want to start something they can't finish. I know that's what I'd be thinking, knowing how long Season 1 has been out without a follow-up release.

Putting out Season 2 would restore "the faith" in the Larry Sanders fans and give a truer reading of the demand.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
PLEASE relese the remaining seasons to this. I´d SO love to see the rest of these episodes. I remember seeing an episode where Sanders thinks Duchovny is hitting on him. Hilarious!
:D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks