What's new

"Larry Sanders Show", season 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
My attitude is that some "Larry Sanders" is better than none; I didn't have HBO during the first few seasons of the series, and missed some great episodes. I also caught some great shows from the later seasons that I would love to see again. (And I refuse to watch the cut-up syndicated versions-- that is the real blasphemy, not this DVD set!) Thus, a volume 1 "best-of" collection appeals to me, versus the alternative of not seeing any more at all. Hopefully it will sell enough to merit more seasons or "Best-of"'s getting released. If they do sell more season sets after this, I will buy them, even if some of the shows are duplicated, that's how much I enjoy this show!
The Emmy's made me realize how much I missed Garry Shandling and Jeffrey Tambor and Rip Torn, so this upcoming DVD is a good thing, and the more episodes they include on it, the better! (Who wants to pay $30-$40 for just 1 or 2 discs?)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Scott, Shandling wants to do a "Best of" for a show that didn't sell very well, that's why they're doing it.

Look at it this way: you can pick up the "best of" set and enjoy some of the future episodes, and then sell it when/if more season sets are announced.

Gord

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I wonder in light of this news and the Mad About You compilation if Columbia is leaning towards a Best Of approach for more of their shows. It could just be a new strategy for poor-selling ones. But like the others have said, its better than nothing.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
So basically, we have to put down a deposit for the best-of, in hopes of future season sets which may never come.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Yeah, my first reaction is to not buy a "best of", in hopes of complete sets later. I might break down and get it if it's extensive (20 episodes or more). But that's how they screw themselves. I might get my fill on this set and not want duplication.

Did they ever think that the first season didn't do well because it was an overpriced crappy presentation? I mean this show is perfect for home dvds. Do it right.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Maybe its a best of which includes ever episode of season two. Followed by a best of featuring every episode of season three? So on and so on.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

I'm guessing that this is the approach that Columbia is taking. Instead of doing best-of sets for shows which have failed to sell well, Columbia should do what FOX did with Lost In Space. Since Larry Sanders & Mad About You didn't sell well, Columbia should split the seasons into 2 sets. For example, have Mad About You: Season 3 part 1 & Mad About You: Season 3 part 2 & sell it for about $12 each. Something like this might be able to resurrect the show. I do own both seasons of Mad About You & it sucks that the remaining seasons may never make it to DVD.

Because the split season release of Lost In Space sold well, FOX is looking at revisiting Mary Tyler Moore which is great.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I understand that, Gord. The point of my post was putting together a 3-4 disc "best-of" probably won't sell much better than season 1 did because it's going to have to have a similar MSRP to season 1. If they want to do a "best-of," they should make it 1 or 2 discs so that the MSRP would be ~$25 (maximum) which would sell more sets.

Real Name
Anthony
HEY NOW !!!

This is a comment posted 10th April on "another" forum :

"Jeremy Piven just said during the Cubs game on the radio (talking with Pat and Ron) that he is working on the 1st three seasons of the Larry Sanders show on DVD. That's about all he said. I wonder if that means the 1st season is going to be re-released?"

I've got no idea who Jeremy Piven is and there's no further info. What do we think ? Is there hope ? :D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think Piven means he's working on a collection of the first three seasons - that's what Sony is working on (a collection).

Actors, while they like to talk about their projects, rarely know what's going on.

Gord

Real Name
Anthony
You're a dream-wrecker, Gord.

Seriously though - do you know for a solid fact that Sony's position hasn't changed on this since their announcement of a "best-of" compilation ?

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Feh. I'm almost compelled to buy the compilation in hopes that good sales will prompt them to release full season sets, but I think I'll just write a letter instead.

If HBO ever airs reruns again, I'll be sure to burn it to record and burn it to DVD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So let me get this straight, HBO authorizes a Season 1 set of Larry Sanders that, by just about anyone's measure, isn't made to high quality standards. Then when it doesn't sell, they say there aren't enough fans to support continuing the series? Isn't what they are really saying is "There aren't enough fans who will buy anything that's dished out?"

It's a shame that one of the best programs in television history (yes, it was that good) may never see a full DVD release because the studio won't take an honest look at the substandard product they produced, and instead blame fans for not wanting to buy any ol' thing.

We've got a saying for that in New Jersey: "That's bullshit."

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta say, in the aftermath of the excellent Mad About You set, I am all over a best of from this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks