What's new

"Larry Sanders Show", season 2 (1 Viewer)

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
It's bveen over two years now since the first season of "The Larry Sanders Show" was released in R1. Has anybody heard anything at all recently about the status of season two finally making it to the shelves?

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
This gets asked two or three times a week, it seems. Doesn't look like there will be any more Larry Sanders on DVD, as the first season didn't sell well at all.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The most recent SEINFELD posting on tvshowsondvd.com contained a tantalizing hint about Larry Sanders but there has been no follow-up.

MattHR

Screenwriter
S1 was initially released at $50, then later lowered to $40. Columbia now seems to be pricing most of their 3-disc comedy sets at $30. If they'd release S2 at $30, with a re-promoted $30 S1, I would think sales would be a bit better than expected. When S1 was initially released, it was met with harsh criticism due to its high price and poor transfers.

Columbia seems to be getting better at their TV-on-DVD releases. "All in the Family" S1 was spread out over too many discs at too high a price. "Mad About You" S1 was too many episodes crammed onto just two discs, resulting in very poor compression. They seem to have found the right balance of episodes per disc and price. So hopefully now they will revisit "Larry Sanders" sometime soon. Besides, the DVD market is much larger than when S1 was released.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
I think to accurately gauge the consumer demand for The Larry Sanders Show, Columbia really needs to release the Complete 2nd Season on DVD (at the new lower price point). Even though they lowered the Suggested List Price on Season 1, that doesn't mean the product actually got marked down at the retail/store level.

Even with the price reduction, I know people who wanted to buy Season 1, but were reluctant to make the purchase because they heard that no additional seasons would be released. They didn't want to start buying sets from a show they knew they couldn't complete.

If Columbia releases Season 2 (at a reasonable price) and gets the word out (gets it pictured in the Best Buy & Circuit City circulars), I think we will have a level playing field in determining whether or not the demand for Larry Sanders is there. I think they will be surprised at the results.

Also, I'm totally against releasing "Best Of" sets (and I know many others are, too). If they think they can release compilations to figure out the level of interest, they will be wasting their time.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well it doesn't look like there will be any more season releases of Larry Sanders since it didn't sell well.

I got a great idea for Columbia Tristar, they should re-releases Larry Sanders: Season 1 on DVD but sell it for $30 which is that price that their current DVD's such as All In The Family season releases, Sanford & Son season releases, et al are going for. I bet ya, if they re-release Larry Sanders: Season 1 for $30, I bet ya that many fans will pick up the show then.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
It didn't look too good (I rented it) and it is too expensive. I would have bought it for $30, sure, even as is. I'd love to get all of Larry Sanders. They screwed themselves. Larry Sanders releases should be selling to the market of stuff like "Curb.." and doing very well.

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
Garry Shandling was just on the Tonight Show - Jay indicated that season 2 of the Larry Sanders show would be out in the fall, and Garry said that it would.

Excellent!

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
:D OMG this is great news indeed, I hope that the poll that was taken about "what five episodes we would like to see on a best of" DVD paid off on a complete second season with so many of us voting for season 2 episodes 1-5 LOL.

Well one thing is for sure my money is voting for more releases with a pre-order as soon as I find one...oh what the heck maybe I'll order two. :)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my god this is Great News! I´ve been waiting for the rest of the seasons since.. well, beginning of the time. well maybe not. But since it is a brilliant show it makes it so hard to wait for the rest.

GREAT NEWS!
(as long as they release them season wise, and not Top5 as they surveyed)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Oh NO!
Not these bloody "Best of" sets. I don´t care for them at all. And when people like me don´t buy this set they must think there´s no interest for a second season.. Vicious circle.

I´d swim across the atlantic ocean to get the next season but as there is a reliable postal service, i´m gonna use that this time too.
:)

John*P

Second Unit
Yeah, Leno was saying how he thought "The Larry Sanders Show" was one of the funniest shows he's ever seen, and at the end of the interview he said...(paraphrasing)

Leno: "And season 2 is coming to DVD in a few months right, the rest of the seasons are coming out?"

Shandling: "Yeah."

After hearing that, I kinda had a feeling Leno was mistaken, and that Shandling was just going along with it. :-/

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Something doesn't make sense to me. According to Gord's story at TVShowsonDVD, the "best-of" set is expected to be a 3-4 disc set. Season 1 was 3 discs. Why go to the trouble of making a "best-of" with as many discs (maybe more) as the season 1 set and just make it random episodes instead of a complete season? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

If they're going to do a "best-of," they should make it just a 1 or 2 disc set that they can put a $20-25 MSRP on, as opposed to a 3 or 4 disc set that'll probably have an MSRP of $30-40. The casual fans who are more likely to buy a "best-of" aren't as likely to pay that much as a more hardcore fan, most of whom prefer season sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks